Husky 394 Stripped Felling Spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolfMann

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey everyone so the holes for the felling spike bolts in the crankcase of my 394xp have stripped, I've read up on the repair but still have a question or two, these bolts run through both sides of the crankcase, clutch side & flywheel side, so for the most complete repair I would need to split the case and drill/tap both sides up one size, M6x1.0. My question is this, would this repair be adequate or would I expect to see the same problem again over time? I've read about people using helicoil, keyserts, gardserts etc and those lasting a long time. If I wanted to go that route would I need to install one in each crankcase half? Would it cause leakage in the center of oil reservoir if I only put a coil/tap on the clutch side of the case (to hold spikes until I split case). Hoping those with experience making this repair can share what's worked best for them. As always, Thank you.

Thank you for the diagram, I like that one much better than the one in the workshop manual.

I wish I took a better look the last time I had the case split, hard to see things you're not looking for though. I'm pretty sure the upper bolt runs through clutch side and threads into flywheel side, not 100% on bottom bolt.

Someone more familiar with the 394 should be able to help. Sorry I couldn’t offer more insight, Good luck with your repair :cheers:

Its all good Climber, I should thank you again for that parts diagram, way better than the one I've been using.

No prob at all, anytime I need an IPL for a saw I just google the make & model and hasn’t failed me yet. Always seems to be a PDF in the first couple search results :)

Why's that a no on the helicoil Dustin? I've read about them being used successfully before.

Never thought about welding the case, is the benefit of that being able to keep bolt the same size?

They are ok on something that is not going to have pressure put on them but on a front spike that also doubles as case sealer bolts I would never trust it to hold for long.

Its good to know that's another option, thank you again Dustin, if I could pick your brain a little more...
You recommended a timesert over helicoil. Would that be inserted in the clutch side or flywheel side (after splitting case)?

Flywheel side, has to be drilled to the propper depth and I use jb weld to lock it in place instead of loctite, I think it holds better, just make sure the timesert sets flush or just below flush so that the case seals properly, I have to do 1 to a top cover screw on my 4th 394 myself.

Looks like there out of stock on the propper size but you may be able to copy and paste it on Amazon or Google

Thanks Dustin, good tip about jbweld over loctite.

Wasn't 100% on ebay link, said out of stock, googled it instead, am I looking for ez-lok M5-.08 inserts?

Four 394s sounds like a dream, I'm only on my first, does well on the mill, I sure like it.

Back