Husky 435 no compression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevephillips

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've got a Husky 435 that I bought as a refurb from Vmi__________ (I don't know if that is still a filtered word). I bought it on sale and with a coupon, so it was cheap.

I don't cut much anymore, and didn't even open the box until the 90 day warranty was long gone. When I started using it, it ran great for maybe 10 hours, then rapidly it became hard to start, and now won't start at all. The plug has good blue spark. I compression checked it, and as hard and fast as I can pull, it has 30 pounds max, other times zero.

I did not straight gas it. I use only premix. I pulled the muffler and plug and looked and so far as I can see, nothing is scored; everything looks pristine.

What could it be? How can I diagnose it further?

How many times are you pulling the rope while doing a compression test? You need to pull the rope till your gauge stops climbing, generally a good 8-10 pulls will achieve this. (also make sure your comp. gauge has the check valve in the tip, not at the gauge.)
If the compression checks out ok and since you have spark I would try pouring a small amount of fuel down the intake and see if it will fire and run for a little bit.

Just for future reference, as soon as something radical changes with the saw, stop using it immediately. Much more than five or six yanks max, saw doesn't start, back on the bench. Tune changes rad, same thing. feel or see excessive heat indications, even smoke where it shouldn't be,, stop. Lack of oil becomes obvious, stop. Sound changes for no reason, stop. And etc.

OK, heck with the gauge, how does the saw feel pulling it over, did it wimp out, or does it still pull normal feeling?

When you pulled the muffler, did you check it for obstructions, carboned up screen, mud dauber nest (that one got me once..man I felt tarded...)

Is the plug getting wet when you try to start it?

How is the choke function, anything broken or fallen off?

Fuel line and filter still intact? Air filter real dirty, will it start (just try it temporarily) without the air filter?

If it is still pretty new, it might now just be broken in good, rings seated better, and need retuning.

Refurbs aren't really, just monkies yanking on cords, if it pops and fires, back out the door. Which means the original problem why it was returned is most likely still there.

You can check all the screws every place for snugness.

Strato saw, maybe some carb weirdness which I am not familiar with troubleshooting.

No obstructions in the muffler. It feels very different when I pull it. It won't fire even if I use starting fluid (ether). Yes, I pulled it repeatedly with the compression gauge attached. This saw really has almost no compression.

No obstructions in the muffler. It feels very different when I pull it. It won't fire even if I use starting fluid (ether). Yes, I pulled it repeatedly with the compression gauge attached. This saw really has almost no compression.

Does that saw have a decomp valve?? if so, maybe that is defective.

Barring that, run out of options, take the top end off for inspection, maybe damage on intake side.

Back