Husky 50 bar oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ragadas

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is any adjustment to the bar oiler on the early 90s Husqvarna 50. There is no obvious adjustment means, and this saw pukes oil all over the place when running. Is there a way to cut it back, or am I stuck with a messy saw? Thanks

From where does your saw puke? If your oiler is over-oiling, it should be puking onto your chain. If it's coming from your sidecase, near the sprocket/bar zone, it may be more likely that you have a leaky place,not a problem with the oiler. Possibly a crack somewhere in the vicinity (not likely) but probably that thin metal plate between the bar and the machine is bent, or there is crud behind it creating a gap through which the oil can escape.

First, pull the bar, remove the plate screw, remove the plate and clean the area of all debris or buildup. That plate needs to be absolutely FLAT against the saw body. Use a flat-head screwdriver to gently scrape the flat surfaces free of buildup. Use a tiny screwdriver to pull out any crud down in the recesses. This thin metal plate can get bent pretty easily and I have a feeling this is where your leak coming from. The saw may leak oil even when sitting and not running if this plate is messed up. This is a cheap part to replace.

Then make sure your bar, where it faces up to the plate, is flat and free of debris (I use a brass wire brush or card file for this) and that the oiler entry hole in the bar is not clogged. Then for good measure, clean out the guide rails, top and bottom.

Most of the time things can be fixed or problems isolated simply by pulling apart and cleaning. Your saw is 10 or so years old. It probably just needs some love.

Thanks for the responses folks. I do a periodic thorough cleaning of my saws, but haven't taken that plate off because the bolt that holds it is under the clutch drum and it looks like the plate also surrounds the crankshaft end bearing seal. (pull the clutch to pull the plate). The oil is getting to the bar because the chain is really wet. Guess I'll just bite the bullet and pull the clutch and plate. There propably is crud behind it.

Thanks

ragadas said:
it looks like the plate also surrounds the crankshaft end bearing seal.
Yup. This is also where you'll find the pinion gear that drives the oiler mecanism, as well as the oiler mechanism itself. Inspect, study and clean. Look closely at where the worm gear threads interface. You may find your solution. Do you know how to pop the clutch off? It can be a mind warp if you've never done it.

The clutch has reverse threads incase you didn't know. Do a search on clutch removal, its simple but if things go wrong there may be big problems. Have you recently replaced the bar? If the wrong bar was on there the holes wouldn't align and you would have a mess like that. behind the clutch is a plastic gear/bushing that you must screw out of the oiler gear, normal threads on this one. Also what are you using for bar oil?

Thanks....I remembered about the left hand threads. The bar has been run on this saw for sometime and the holes line up ok. Pulled it apart and there was some gunk behind the plate but not excessive. Didn't find anything defective looking about the oiler, so cleaned everything up and reassembled. Didn't get a chance to run it yesterday, but will find out today and keep you posted. Thanks for the help.
(Poulan bar oil at the moment, but always use bar - specific grade)

Last edited:
Well, ran the saw for sometime today and, though there is still plenty of oil getting to the chain, it isn't near as bad as before. At least it isn't slobbering all over any more. Thanks again for the help.

Back