Husky 50 Special Mod?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplemeister

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a Husky 50 special that I purchased in May of 1992 and am wondering if this is a saw that would benefit from a Muffler Mod, and if so, has anyone done this same model in the past or not. Saw has only seen light use over the years and still runs great. I started selling firewood this past fall and this saw is going to be my main limbing saw for a while so I wouldn't mind beefing it up a tad if it makes sense. It will be seeing a lot more use from here forward so a faster cut would be a timesaver. Can anyone advise?

Thanks,

Maplemeister: :cheers:

That should be a non epa one,if it has a fully adjustable carb(high,low and idle) I would go for it,should see increase in power and throttle response.I have not done one of those but have done my Husky 44 and I can notice the difference.

How much did you open it up. I was thinking of just drilling holes in the face of the existing muffler but not sure how big they should be or, how many Any
thoughts on that issue?

Maple:

Alot of AS members say to go 85% of your exhaust port size(that is the hole that the exhaust comes out of the cylinder at)and some say 75% to 125%.I would go 85% adjust your high speed on the carb and see how it runs,you can always go bigger.I did what you are talking about on my 44,just drilled a hole.I will be welding the hole shut and welding on a pipe in a couple weeks.Heres a pic of the 44 hole in the muffler and a pic of the exhaust port on my 026.You can use some spaghetti noodles and fill the exhaust port with them to get a measurement for the size,you will have to take off the muffler to do it.Your hole should be 85% of the volume of the noodles or close.Hope this helps,I'am no expert but I am learning.You can also do a search on the site for muffler mods which there is alot.

Ok Woody:

Thanks for the tips. I never would have thought of the spaghetti approach unless you mentioned it first. I will figure out the opening I need and just go with a drilled opening for now. If that seems to work ok, I can always weld an exit pipe on later. I don't have any welding skills to speak of but can get some help with that part if needed. Again, thanks for the assistance.

Maple:

Back