Husky 50 vs Stihl 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that my friend and I have both and it goes back to the old ford vs chevy thing. Both saws have there good points. My 026 revs a lot faster is the only thing I can add.

The 026 should be a little stronger and rev a little higher. The 50 wasn't a pro saw, even though it has a magnesium case.

I saw a good runner for sale not too far from me for $75.

I saw that one on kijiji as well but I have one of these to try and rebuild so don't need another. Price seems really good for a runner though.

Pick it up and let me know what you think.

The 50 is an excellent saw. I owned the 028 super and 50 and ran them both for 3 years. The 028 ended up getting left behind so I felt sorry for it and found it a new home. Both were completely stock, not even a muffler mod. I bought the first family 50 around 1988, and my brother still uses it, all original engine. The most notable differences was the lighter weight and longer run times on a tank of fuel. The 028 handled different, hard to explain. I can't speak for the 026 that you wanted it compared to. I've fixed other 50s and they are very easy to work on. The downfall is the intake system and the carb mounting screws that thread into plastic, so some people strip them. I never had any issues with the oiling system and it didn't leave puddles on my bench. The on/off switch is prone to break and the oring leaks on the fuel cap. There is a newer fuel cap that works great on them. The vibration isolation is 4 point rubber that does it's job and gives it a firmer feel than the new springy Husky's. The parts are still easy to find. It's a very dependable saw and I wouldn't pass one up with good compression for $75.

Well I took a drive up today to buy the 50 but couldn't get it to start. Not generally a good sign for a saw advertised as a good runner.

Checked the compression and it was 100 psi. I bet it was a good runner once. Felt good in my hands.

Still looking.

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

Latest posts

Back