Husky 55 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bama

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Karlstad, MN---Where the earth meets the sky.
I have one that has a fried piston. Is there any upsizing I can do to this saw? I have seen some p/c kits for only about $25. Has anyone tried these? Seems awful cheap. The saw is in good shape, so I will put a carb kit and maybe seals with a pressure vac/test. I run Jonsered normally, but do like my old Husky 61.

I purchase a 55 Rancher on Ebay for $200.00 including shipping a couple months ago, and recently sold it locally for 220.00. I kind of regret selling it though. After cleaning it up, tune-up, and muffler mod, it surprised me how powerful it was.

I used Huztl parts to rebuild a 50, which is essentially the same. Check the port bevels in the jug if its aftermarket, delete the base gasket, advance the timing a few degrees and port the muffler. Mine has had a couple tanks run through it and runs great. I would suggest buying a caber ring for it, I don't have a good feeling about the Chinese rings.

I ported mine and cut the base. The aftermarket cylinder I bought came with what seems like excessive (0.05") squish.
20170224_195403.jpg

The intake port roughed in.
20170224_204024.jpg

Muffler mod, 3/4" steel tubing. Original muffler exit on the bottom was welded shut.
20170225_163504.jpg

I redid a 55 a cou
I have one that has a fried piston. Is there any upsizing I can do to this saw? I have seen some p/c kits for only about $25. Has anyone tried these? Seems awful cheap. The saw is in good shape, so I will put a carb kit and maybe seals with a pressure vac/test. I run Jonsered normally, but do like my old Husky 61.
I redid a 55 last yearit is still doing like new. I used a Hyway kit from HL supply out of Florida. I think it was 5o bux for everything. Piston, cyl, rings new pin and clips. Gasket too I think.. The good rings were in there...

Big bore kit isn't really an option.....

Best cheap upgrade is to do as others here have mentioned with muffler porting, base gasket delete, all to get you to .020 squish.

If you have more $$$,
Hyway makes sort of a hybrid open/closed port piston and cylinder that is good, or you can look for an OEM closed port 45mm cylinder, and buy the correct piston to match it from lil' red barn.

The Oem closed port (called the EPA VERSION- or air injection version- not Rancher usually)cylinder makes the most power stock or modded.

These saws are very stout when modded and the closed port version is very stout even stock.

Some great suggestions. I will probably go with keeping it on the thrifty side. My passion isn't with orange, but any saw can be fun to run. :)
I used a piston out of a closed port 45 mm 350 with a Caber ring and salvaged closed port 55 cylinder, best saw I've ever saved from the dump. It's become one of my favorite firewood saws, run it hard and put it away wet, always comes back for more.

I used Huztl parts to rebuild a 50, which is essentially the same. Check the port bevels in the jug if its aftermarket, delete the base gasket, advance the timing a few degrees and port the muffler. Mine has had a couple tanks run through it and runs great. I would suggest buying a caber ring for it, I don't have a good feeling about the Chinese rings.

I ported mine and cut the base. The aftermarket cylinder I bought came with what seems like excessive (0.05") squish.

Nice work. Minor hijack here, but what lathe are you using? Old Bridgeport?

Southbend 24" bed, 9" swing, flat belt drive. Its got a bit of slop in the cross feed, but you can account for it if you need to be precise. They definitely don't make them like they used to, the castings are a work of art.

Latest posts

Back