Husky 55 rebuild kits?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddhlakebound

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm in need of a cylinder/piston rebuild kit, and a carb rebuild kit as well.

My saw guy says the cylinder is scored from a broken exhaust bolt, and the saw will not idle, no matter how it's adjusted.

Where should I go to get the parts, and roughly how much should I expect to pay for them?

Thanks, ddh

Husky 55

I would suggest that you find another person ti work on your saw. The exhaust bolts are on the outside of the cylinder. As two the rebuild kits they are available I think from one of the sponsors of this forum. I have a 55 and my cylinder had a score from a broken ring.I emeried the cylinder, installed the new ring and the saw now runs great. 165 lbs of compression. I would have a compression test done before you spend $$$ for a complete kit, Ken

It may be possible to tap out the broken off muffler bolt, and replace w/ new. I'll try to lay my hands on a compression tester, and see what she's got.

The guy who looked at it just did a cursory inspection, but said the exhaust heat being focused on the cylinder through the broken muffler bolt would burn it up in time, and had probably already done damage. He formerly ran the saw repair shop at one of the local farm and home type stores, so he knows what he's talking about, in general anyway. As to my saw, it probably deserves a good tearing down and inspecting. Then I'll know for sure.

I like the idea of having a basically new saw, so unless its probihitively expensive, i'm kind of leaning towards rebuilding it, but if I can perform a cheap fix, and have it run good for a couple of years, delaying the rebuild would be ok.

Either way, I need the carb rebuild kit......Which sponsor should I look under?

ddhlakebound said:
It may be possible to tap out the broken off muffler bolt, and replace w/ new.

Huh, the bolts don't actually connect to the jug, they just slide into a recess and the nuts are tightened from the muffler end. That snugs them up in their recess and secures them.

ddhlakebound said:
He formerly ran the saw repair shop at one of the local farm and home type stores, so he knows what he's talking about, in general anyway.

Not very convincing so far :D

ddhlakebound said:
I like the idea of having a basically new saw, so unless its probihitively expensive, i'm kind of leaning towards rebuilding it, but if I can perform a cheap fix, and have it run good for a couple of years, delaying the rebuild would be ok.

Take it apart, if the cylinder is OK, it is pretty cheap to throw in a new piston/ ring kit. If it's not OK, post some pics.

55 Rancher Parts

Baileys should have what you need. It is not listed in their menu but give them a call toll free. I put a carb kit in my 55 from them. Great people, Ken

Latest posts

Back