Husky 55 that refuses to start, flooding.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chileman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently started having issues with my Rancher 55. Was cutting the other day, when after stopping for a bit, it refused to start. It seems that the saw is flooding, I can see lots of wetness on the sides of the piston from the exhaust port and the plug gets wet. If I turn the saw over, I can see fluid running down the wall of the cylinder. I don't see any scoring. In addition, if I use the decompression valve, I can see a fine mist pulsing from the valve port when cranking.

The carb is several months old and holds pressure and vacuum applied to the fuel port. So far, I have checked for spark and it appears good. I changed the spark plug anyways as I had one lying around. Muffler appears unclogged. The compression is about 75 on one pull, building up to about 135 on 5 pulls. I have used an air compressor to blow out the cylinder from the spark plug hole and exhaust port, but it doesn't help.

I can't figure out what could have happened in the course of a few minutes that would have caused the saw to stop running and cause so much wetness. Any help would be much appreciated!

I’d say your needle is sticking and is being held open by debris in the carb. Take a look see like Harley says, a cleaning and kit will probably fix it.

Edit: if it was a stuck open inlet valve, causing flooding, it wouldn't hold pressure during testing.

No vacuum test on a carb.

Well, it was a rookie mistake. I finally got the saw to run, I guess I hadn't aired it out enough. But after cutting 20 minutes it refused to start again. This time I diagnosed it in the field and found no spark. It appears the coil is cutting out when it gets warm and the flooding was just a result of me trying to restart it. Duh.

Back