Husky Air injection/Jonsered Turbo - worth doing to another saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregford

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm curious about whether the so-called "turbo" system on Huskies and Jonsereds produced a noticeable increase in power over pre-air injection/turbo models of the same cc rating.

If they did produce more power, then why don't other manufacturers also produce forced-induction saws?

Is it worth modifying other older Huskies so that the fan becomes a primitive turbo? A mate of mine is quite keen to try it on a Husky 380. There is plenty of room to make up a small intake tract from the fan and run it into the air-cleaner housing. But is it worth it?

This turbo thing is pure BS. Just measure the pressure it produces. less than 1/2 an inch of water on a 372 which is =< 0.02 psi.

Now measure the temperature of the turbofied air and calculate what's really importaint, air density.

What the turbo does a good job of is rejecting sawdust out of the airstream. Likely a real good marketing tool too despite it being a total red herring performance wise.

Prove it to yourself, time some cuts with the covers sealed up, then take the covers off even filter too so the saw gets nothing but cool air and check the times again.

Last edited:
Thanks

This turbo thing is pure BS. Just measure the pressure it produces. less than 1/2 an inch of water on a 372 which is =< 0.02 psi.

Now measure the temperature of the turbofied air and calculate what's really importaint, air density.

What the turbo does a good job of is rejecting sawdust out of the airstream. Likely a real good marketing tool too despite it being a total red herring performance wise.

Prove it to yourself, time some cuts with the covers sealed up, then take the covers off even filter too so the saw gets nothing but cool air and check the times again.

Thanks for your reply. I've often wondered about it, but I suppose that if it was successful, other manufacturers would have done the same thing.

When I first started working on small engines 20 years ago, my boss at the time raved about Jonsered turbos, but since then I hadn't heard much more so it was always something I was curious about.

That's a load of BS, 1: you will never be cutting wood inside a pile of sawdust. 2: Not everyone runs stock air filters which defeats the purpose of this video trying to cut STIHL down, MAX-FLOW will smoke stock husky filters. HHMMM, now I wonder why they don't make something like that for Husqvarnas?

HHMMM, now I wonder why they don't make something like that for Husqvarnas?

Obviously they dont need to?
:cheers:

That's a load of BS, 1: you will never be cutting wood inside a pile of sawdust. 2: Not everyone runs stock air filters which defeats the purpose of this video trying to cut STIHL down, MAX-FLOW will smoke stock husky filters. HHMMM, now I wonder why they don't make something like that for Husqvarnas?

Have you ever ran a husqvarna all day? The air filter stays cleaner than that of a Stihl. Why has Stihl decided to copy huskies air injection? Don't suppose it was a good idea huh? How dare the almighty stihl be wrong ooooooooh!

Oh btw I cut mostly dead and diseased locust, which is a dry and dusty wood. Clogged filters are the norm. Husqvarna's air injection is the only pre-filter that works in my conditions.

never heard claims...

that is was like a turbo on a car...

all the reading sez to me is cleaner air!

and when the dealer explained it to me, that's exactly what he said... it cleans the air!

I don't no what the hype is for stihl I have some their the most martens saws I have with stihl clean bar groove-clean gunk out-switch chain-clean filter.With jonsered or any-other saw I don't have to clean the filter but once in a wile.With stihl I by 2 filters a year 1 bar and 3 drive sprockets and use it les than my jonsered.I haven't bout filters-or sprockets and only 1 bar but it was my fault (dropped tree on it) my favorite saw is 64 comango never had to by anything for it except chains in short stihl is a good saw especially if you like spending money (in 3 years baut 2 stihl 4years 1 jonsered 15 years 1 comango) is stihl really that good or is it mostly hype?

Latest posts

Back