Jonsered 2172

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taplinhill

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
From the Jonsered International Website:

attachment.php

Jonsered is launching a new chainsaw as part of its professional range. The powerful CS 2172 is Jonsered's first professional chainsaw fitted with an environmentally friendly Clean Power engine.

The new chainsaw is aimed at professional users with high demands on reliability and performance such as larger landowners, forest owners, professional forest workers and park administrations. 90 percent of users are expected to be professional forestry workers who subsist on forest work. The engine is more powerful and more environmentally friendly than previous models. Jonsered's proprietary Clean Power engine technology produces a higher torque and offers raw power at low revs. In simple terms, Clean Power technology is based on maximizing fuel economy. Emissions from the engine are up to 75 % lower and fuel consumption up to 20 % less than a conventional two-stroke engine of the same size.
"Our new professional chainsaw is a future-proof investment. It meets all the legal requirements in force around the world which is unique for a chainsaw. This is really modern technology, the new chainsaw can even be sold in California, which has the strictest emissions standards in the world," says Niklas Bergquist, Global Product Manager, Jonsered.

The chainsaw weighs 6.4 kg and has a power output of 4.1 kW/5.6 hp. The Jonsered Clean Power engine provides a stronger chainsaw, and its technology means the user does not need to carry as much fuel when working in the forest.
"Clean Power technology is fully comparable to the time when the catalytic converter was introduced to the car. Some other manufacturers use catalytic converters in their chainsaws to reduce emission values. Jonsered does not use catalytic converters in this chainsaws because they do not produce as much power and tend to get way too hot," Niklas Bergquist explains.

New technology in proven packaging
The CS 2172 is based on old, proven models. The characteristic red colour, the sleek shape and compact engine body are typical attributes of a chainsaw from Jonsered. All the highly appreciated technical functions remain in the chainsaw such as spin start, turbo air cleaning, side-access chain tensioner and cylinder cover with snap locks. Some new features have not been added, which is a deliberate move. However, you can buy an expansion pack with built-in heated handle.
"The user will easily identify with the new model," Niklas Bergquist concludes.
Jonsered CS 2172
Jonsered's new professional chainsaw is aimed at users with high demands on reliability and performance. The chainsaw is fitted with an environmentally friendly Clean Power engine that reduces emissions by up to 75 percent.

Jonsered CS 2172
The new chainsaw from Jonsered CS 2172 is based on old, proven models. The new feature is the proprietary Clean Power engine technology which meets worldwide emission regulations.

CS 2172

I got to run one a couple weeks ago and it was hooked up pretty good. It's a small difference, but the top handle being about a half inch higher, and slightly fatter makes the saw feel even better than the original.

Kind of funny how the author rips "Some other manufacturers" for using cat mufflers. Maybe be a temporary memory lapse explains him forgetting about the 2152/2153/2156/2159? :givebeer:

I want it. I really do. Thanks for the news!

Does anyone know how the "clean power" technology works, more precisely?

Kind of funny how the author rips "Some other manufacturers" for using cat mufflers. Maybe be a temporary memory lapse explains him forgetting about the 2152/2153/2156/2159? :givebeer:

I believe "memory lapses" are quite common in marketing statements of that kind - regardless of the brand! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

When will this saw be available? If the specs are right it should have more power than a 372xpw out of the box right? I was going to buy another 372 xpw before all the new ones are gone but the jonsered just looks so much better to me. Is the new one better enough to wait or should I just get a 2171 or 372 before they're gone?

I've never ran a 70cc 372. I ran a 2171 once over a year ago in the dealers wood pile but it was well broken in and the only thing I was running it against was a ms 460 and a 7900. I've had 2 372s and one had the stock 75cc topend and then ported it, one with a ported 75cc topend that was low on compression, and big bore kit with muffler modded in place of the low compression topend.

When will this saw be available? If the specs are right it should have more power than a 372xpw out of the box right? ....

It isn't that simple - the reports from those that have used the Husky version doesn't really support those power specs, vs the older 372xp.....

Anyway, there sure is a weight and bulk penalty, as with all strato saws that actually has hit the market so far, but not as bad as with most other ones.

Last edited:
Well it sure will be lighter than a 576 or 441. I was just curious. I'm on the fence about a 372 or 2171 and now this is thrown into the mix. I just want to get a new one to use most of the time. The 576 is a fine saw but is too close in weight to the 390 so it doesn't get used much.

Well it sure will be lighter than a 576 or 441. I was just curious. I'm on the fence about a 372 or 2171 and now this is thrown into the mix. I just want to get a new one to use most of the time. The 576 is a fine saw but is too close in weight to the 390 so it doesn't get used much.

Follow the KISS rule - just buy a 372xp or xpw, while you still can! :)

I got a 2171 if you missed my other thread mr troll. I think it feels better than the xpw did.

Latest posts

Back