Husky Carb, Upgrade or Not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylornic

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm still gathering parts for my 181/288 Hybrid build. Was wondering if the 181 carb will work fine on a 288 jug or do I need a 288 carb?

Taylor...

Well i have put a 266SE carb on my 181SE the 288 carb is different where the throttle lever contacts the carb there is no metal lever the trigger/throttle mechanism on the 288 does not actually contact the carb at all until the trigger is depressed, i tried putting a 288 plastic lever on a 181 and the hole where it comes through in the casing isn't large enough in dia: to let the throttle lever come down to engage the throttle on the carb. I did not wish to drill out the 181 case for it to work so i tried a 266 carb with the small metal throttle lever and it fits fine. If you need a 288 carb i do have one i could sell. Hope this makes some sense, its hard to imagine without seeing the different setups. What case and tank are you using. The 181 carb will work on the 288 jug but the trottle lever needs to be the right one.

Thnx Doc, It makes sense, I am aware of the 181 using the wire linkage and the 288 using the roller that contacts the throttle linkage. I wasn't aware however that the case needs to be opended up for the 288 linkage. I guess if the screws could be removed that holds the butterfly, the throttle shaft could be swapped between the 2 carbs so the 181 linkage could be used.

As usual, I did'nt make my point clear, I apologize. I was actually wanting to know if the 181 carb will perform fine on a 288 jug with the increased displacement or if it needs a 288 carb to perform to it's max?

I have a very clean 181 carb I was going to put a kit in, if it will run correctly on the larger jug.

I'm also using a 181 tank, and a pair of 181 NOS cases. I have a OEM 288 piston also. All I need at this point is a very clean 288 jug, (Anyone have one???) and I will be ready to go.

Thanks,
Taylor

Thnx Doc, It makes sense, I am aware of the 181 using the wire linkage and the 288 using the roller that contacts the throttle linkage. I wasn't aware however that the case needs to be opended up for the 288 linkage. I guess if the screws could be removed that holds the butterfly, the throttle shaft could be swapped between the 2 carbs so the 181 linkage could be used.

As usual, I did'nt make my point clear, I apologize. I was actually wanting to know if the 181 carb will perform fine on a 288 jug with the increased displacement or if it needs a 288 carb to perform to it's max?

I have a very clean 181 carb I was going to put a kit in, if it will run correctly on the larger jug.

I'm also using a 181 tank, and a pair of 181 NOS cases. I have a OEM 288 piston also. All I need at this point is a very clean 288 jug, (Anyone have one???) and I will be ready to go.

Thanks,
Taylor

No problem. There were two jugs on ebay recently, and yes the jugs are interchangable on either case, the 181 original was a 52mm and the 288 a 54mm and both carbs will work on either jug and other than the roller versus the metal linkage i think they are the same carb. It would be good to see pic's, always nice to see an older saw in the before and after state of rebuild.

Last edited:
Back