Husky case splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aglicknmex

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good Morning from boonies of NM!

I was chatting with ANDRE THE GIANT the other day, and he got me thinking about using bar studs for anchoring----since I needed to split a Husky 51, I decided to spend a few minutes making a tool instead of beating on it!!! Its just a 7" long piece of 3 x 1.5 channel iron. It has 2 sets of bar holes drilled to accommodate different patterns. I know it fits a 51 and 288, but modification would be easy for others.
Since I already had the little Stihl splitter tool, I mounted it on the end for pressing on the crankshaft. The case split like butter, with no heat. If you dont have a Stihl tool, you could probably grip the iron iron with a standard 2 jaw puller, like Lakeside shows in some of his photos. You need to go to page two to find the pics:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=40590&highlight=crankcase+splitting

Hope this might add to the case splitting solutions.

Bigal

Boonies of New Mexico ie Glenwood NM

Hi Romeo
Glenwood is an hour north of Silver City, on US 180---SW corner of New Mexico. My place adjoins the Gila National Forest of about 3.5 million acres of TREEEEEES -----that nobody cuts.........I occasionally get a hazard tree permit to keep my sawmill going-- mostly just a hobby. I got way too many saws......prob another 20 besides the ones listed!! No sawing competitions around here. To bad.
AL

Around here, we split Husky cases with a D-9 dozer.:clap:

Come on, you had to know that was coming????

you mean your stihl tryin to split that case!!

We are a little more subtle here in New Mexico---try not to use brute force and awkwardness......
Im afraid I have more Stihls than Husky. Im not stuck in mud on one brand like a lotta you guys!! Gotta keep an open mind when you live "out west"
al

Back