Case splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I brought a copy of the husky case splitter (still wasn’t cheap!) but found when splitting the ms 260 it knocked against the case getting it in and chipping the paint on the inside of the crank top. Has anyone got any feedback with how effective the stihhl case splitting tool is instead?

Hi, I brought a copy of the husky case splitter (still wasn’t cheap!) but found when splitting the ms 260 it knocked against the case getting it in and chipping the paint on the inside of the crank top. Has anyone got any feedback with how effective the stihhl case splitting tool is instead?

The Husky style will make certain the bearings stay in the case, the Stihl style will pull the case apart but the bearings may stay on the crank requiring a separate bearing removal tool to pull the bearing off the crankshaft. I make my own case pullers and have the correct bearing removal pullers so its a non issue for me.

Hydraulic press anyone??

I almost bought the Stihl tool not to long ago but recently aquirered a small 12ton press. I set myself all up with blocks and shimms each time around to move this and not that and so far it has done the job. Maybe I’ll need the tool someday but for now this has met my needs well.

There could be some instances or saws I am not aware of where a case splitter tool may be necessary. I do not know.

To make it clearer, when the inside jaws on the Husky style jig are slipped inside the crank case, because the space is tight in the ms 260 it needs to be jiggled in and it’s inevitable you be hitting certain areas and it chips the paint on the inside where these red dots are. It’s not a big deal. But I don’t want to be damaging the saw unnecessarily.

9C7F6F02-ABBA-4F23-B02D-6652272CC5ED.jpeg

Back