Husky runs ruff!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those 359's have several different issues with those saw. The new style tank vent fails often on those saws. The carb has a little float ball built in the casting and it gets stuck shutting off the low circuit causing loss of fuel on low ciruit. Another issue is the manifold partition and the intake boot. Vibration causes impulse hole in rubber boot to stretch and leek also causing the same issue

Varmit

Put the old plug back in it and see if the problem goes away.

A plugged tank vent wouldn't allow it to run at high RPMs but not idle.

Venting issues can be a pain. This is compounded by the fact the many people run less than a full tank of gas through a saw per use. It is that short run time that allows quick fixes to be used instead of an actual repair. The saw will usually be killed during the first long use cycle after the quick fixes have been employed.

It also depends on the saw. For example, the vented cap on newer Poulans will allow the saw to run FT but die during idle. This occurs during the beginning of the failure and will get to the point where the saw will not run full throttle without re-adjusting, trigger feathering, and choke feathering as these allow the engine to better pull fuel. Poulan would save a lot of warranty claims by switching from that type of cap vent or at least including 5 new caps with each saw.

The 359 vents have had different problems some of which start small but eventually cause massive failure. The saw will run fine at full throttle as it has the ability to pull fuel but once it is allowed to idle after warming up it will not hold an idle and stall out. It will start back up again with choke and lots of pulls but this will get to the point of a lean failure quickly. Get it fixed.

I think that on the top of this page there is a sticky thread with directions for the 359 IPL in it. Perhaps a search is in order.

It amazes me what people will do to saws in order to keep them running and make the cut. No trigger/choke feathering allowed. More than 10 pulls cold/3 pulls hot and it is in need of repair.

If it is under warranty, take it back to the shop. Adjusting the carb will cover up the problem, not fix it.

If it has had "mods" done to it... I doubt it's still under warranty...

Also to the OP... if you're bar tip is cloggin' with "sawdust"... you need to keep your chains sharp. Saws should not spit out "dust"... they should spit out "chips".

Gary

Husky runs! ruff! ruff!ruff!

My first thought when I read the title of this post.

The dog is happy that your husky runs! ruff! ruff! ruff! :spam::clap:

Update

Kind of an update on this and thanks for all your suggestions. I did change the plug to a Bosch, changed the fuel filter, and cleaned the air filter. I adjusted the low-jet and idle but I still haven't touched the high-jet. I ran two tanks of gas through her today and bucked up a bunch of maple. During this time I experienced the symptoms 3 times that I originally reported. If I caught it in time and gave her some gas as she began to "lean up," she would keep running. If I let it go it would stall but then fire right back up without choking. It seems to be a pretty small issue for now but it's not perfect. This is one of those things that can probably drive you nuts---an intermittent problem that you can never duplicate once you get it to the shop. I looked things over pretty well but can find nothing "on the surface." If it's a leaking fuel line, it's somewhere behind plastic where I can't see it. I will continue to monitor and if it gets any worse, I'll take it in to my local small engine shop.

Ruff idle

Hey Joe.

What RPM is your idle speed set at? I have some saws that aren't all that happy with to slow an idle speed. Sounds like what you are describing. I usually set the idle speed (after I have good low to high throttle response) to just under where the chain starts to creep. Most saws I think it's around 2700 rpm. Someone here will surely know. I hate to ask stupid questions but sometimes things are not as complicated as we seem to make them. May not be your problem but as I always say---NEVER overlook the obvious. Good luck.

When I was in the local shop (not my stealership) for the fuel filter, etc. I described the symptoms to the shop owner and he reiterated that if I did not solve the problem I should bring it in to avoid causing damage to the piston, cylinder, etc. I did stop back, fired 'er up while she was still warm and they gave it a listen while checking the throttle response and WOT. The shop says it sounds great. I may bump up the idle a tad and will continue to monitor.
I have the shop manual saved in my documents and have enjoyed reading through it in the past. Hopefully it will be helpful to others as well. Thanks.

Kind of an update here. I continued to experience the same symptoms, more or less, and after adjusting the carb it would run better for awhile and then back to stalling and wanting to die when I pull the trigger. I'd try to feather the throttle but it would usually just womp, womp, womp and stall. I replaced the fuel line and tank vent to no avail. Any other wild guesses before I go to the shop?

Final Verdict

First I took my Husky to a local tinkerer who "can fix anything." Got it back and went down in the woods, made 10 cuts and she crapped out again. At that point I figured I'd have to bite the bullet so off we went to the stealership. They did some checking and found that the other local shop (not the tinkerer) sold me the wrong spark plug---too hot and not a resistor plug. The service tech was concerned about the lack of lubrication in the cylinder running a hotter plug but said it didn't look too bad. They put the correct spark plug in and turned me loose on a log out in back of the shop. After about 10 cuts, same thing. The service tech suspected the low jet and said I could probably adjust it myself but given my lack of success thus far, I left it. They called me yesterday and said they replaced the carburetor under warranty. They ran the numbers on it and found a service bulletin or whatever indicating similar problems on the 359's and 357XP's. The problem was the Walbro carb and I think he said they replaced it with a Nike. Anyway, I picked it up today and went down in the woods and the saw ran like a champ until it finally ran out of gas. So that is the final verdict!!!:cheers: Many thanks to http://www.chwaltz.com/

Latest posts

Back