Husky vs Stihl...Other things to consider

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

litefoot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
As some of you may know, I've been looking an addition to my Jons 2050 for a firewood saw. I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but there are some points to ponder between the two brands that I haven't seen mentioned here (not that they haven't been, but I haven't noticed them).

I noticed on a web site that the consumer warranty for Stihl 440 and Husq 357xp is 3 months and 2 years respectively. Can that be right? That's a LOT of difference.

Also would a Stihl need the touted "Intellicarb" system if it had a good "turbo" filter cleaning system like Husky and Jons?

I ain't knocking Stihls (they seem to be more solidly-built than the Husky), but I see some advantages here that favor the Husky that I didn't notice before.

Thanks again for letting me "ax" some dopey questions.

The info on the warrantees is correct as far as I know. Not entirely sure about Husky's, but that sounds right. Why is that? Who knows?

As far as the Intellicarb and the air injection, the air injection is nice, but I've never had a problem filter wise, as I check it often throughout the job and clean or change it when needed.

Jeff

Last edited:
Being a non-pro, basicaly weekend user my saws go in the big vise sometime during the week for service, mainly chain filing but the back cover comes off and I blow things out too. If the Stihl filters were the big deal some make of them on here I would cheerfully admit it and go on with life but for my use they are not. I own Stihls 'cause I have a good dealer right down the road. My Husky dealer is Lowes, Warrenty is not doing me much good when saw is broke and in a shipping box on its way to a servicing dealer. Utter 'den 'dat I have nothing against Huskies. A very good servicing L&G dealer in town just picked up Echo, might have to try a couple just so I dont have that Sthil blood thing attached to my person, LOL

The warranty on the Husky 365 I just bought is 2 years. I think that is the Husky standard.

The 2005 Stihl catalog says the following:

Models 009 through MS390: 1 year for personal/household use, 90 days for proffesional use.

Models 044 through MS880: 90 days for both personal/household and proffesional use.

Last edited:
litefoot said:
...Also would a Stihl need the touted "Intellicarb" system if it had a good "turbo" filter cleaning system like Husky and Jons? ...
As far as I know the answer to that is NO, but observe what Jeff and Butch said.

Here, they both carry one year warranties (or use to, as I have not been shopping for a new saw) you can double the warranty by purchasing a 6 or 12 pack of oil to go along with them.

Jonsered have air injection and I noticed they are starting to put on their version of intelicarb, don't really know about huskies with intellicarbs however. Intellicarbs are probably the step prior to a factory injection system.

I never bring up air filtration as it really is a non issue with me, I think too much is being made of this issue and of air injection. Many many good saws out there of all brands have been running 20-25-30 years without air injection and I am sure many more saws of various brands will continue to be manufactured and run without air injection for many many years to come.

Presently prefer mostly the feel of Stihls over anything else for various reasons, dealer support in this area is best also. Might try a new Jred next time as they appeal to me also. No brand is perfect however.

Back