husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
im thinking in the next yr. i may try one of the huskys.
372 is a litle heavy i believe for all day work. im 54 now.
any advice on the best xp ,pro model ,in the 12 lb range .
also if do get a husky ,i want one that will show me
the muscle an smooth operation ive heard about so much.
any advice appreciated.

hey Tony, The 372 is a falling saw and weighs in at about 15 lbs. The 357 weighs in at about 12lbs. There is, I think a 365 or so but I don't know anything about it. What are you doing w/your saw? If your not felling 48" timber day after day, Look @ the 357. 20-24" bar easy, some folks are running 16" bars on the 357, ya'll be careful.

Just a note: The Jonsered Line is made in the same factory, by the same corporate parent...good thought to keep in mind when shopping. I think they're prettier. I'm thinking of a 2165 to replace my old Jons. 670; this saw is the twin sister to Husky 365, at about 13.5 lbs ready to work.

Depending on your needs, you could drop down to the 3 cubic inch/50cc class with the Husky 351/Jonsered 2149. I bought the 2149 last autumn and love it...so light and agile, it is almost like swinging a light sabre with a 16" bar, and does respectably well with a 20" bar and Oregon 91 narrow kerf chain. Stay away from the Jons 2150/Husky 350 however...same specs, but not as sturdy made with resin crankcase, etc.

Husky 357 also has a JOnsy counterpart, and is midway between the two.

Happy shopping!

Correction, the 357 is 12.1 lb, the 372 with small dogs and half wrap handle is 13.0 lb. that's how i have mine setup for light weight in a tree. if I get another, i'll go with the big dogs, which i took off, as i did the full wrap handle. The small dogs don't work very well. My 372 is Madsen's power tuned, ~12% faster than stock, i'm going to have the muffler done, adds 20 % or so. That saw is light, believe me.

The 357 is a sweet saw, for sure, and very smooth to run. I have 2 036's and a 034 super, all nice, but the 357 is better. However, the Efco 962C weighs about 4 oz more but has 0.3 more hp, and can be had for $100 less. definitely a pro quality saw. It also is sold as a John Deere 62.

I have links to the best price on it.

thanks much . i have a do all service,targeting mostly elderly
folk trying to stay out of rest homes . my work involves any thing from taking nusance trees dn ,topping or just clearing and area out. we have some bigguns here but not like some northern areas.
in short the 028 is the largest i need.its about 12 lbs.
looking for the husky difference ,with less wt.
think i may go to HD rental and possible handle several saws .
may even rent one if it feels right. then if the difference is
significant,ill know what to be going after.any suggestions appreciated. im not in a hurry here . kinda like the measure twice
cut once,deal carpenters have.thaks again

Tony,

You dont top nice trees, i hope!!! Bushes, tree hedge rows maybe no problem, but not trees, please!!

Hey Tony, those 028's don't wear out. They only die from abuse and neglect. More power is there for the taking from the mid-size Stihls. Some muffler modifications will give that old girl new life, make you think you got a new saw! :eek:

One of my best buds, 68 year old Bob York, doesnt wear out either!!!! He has an 028 Super, a great reliable saw. I hadn't seen Bob in years, ran into him 6 yrs ago, started teaching him to be an arborist, now he is studying for cert test. Back in 75, I worked with him a bit when I was a rookie. He was the hotshot, know it all, now he wants to learn everything and do it all the right way.

He started felling timber 50 years ago, and climbing not long therafter.
He took 15 yrs off to pursue his passion, steelhead fly fishing. He's caught 8 over 30 pounds, 5 on a fly. no one else in the world has caught more than one!!

After doing tree work, he works out and jogs a few miles, never sick, 31 inch waist, he is da man!! I'm in fantastic condition myself for age 52, and use Bob as my inspiration to continue. Goal is to still climb at age 75, but not because my young crew can't, as well as drop 25 foot cliffs into deep powder, with 5000 vertical feet to go!!!

Retire, never, just like the 028, 038, 090, 056, 2100 Ho. and Hu.

Ski to die, die to ski!!

the Dodg

Last edited:
clarification ,when i say top out its not really correct.
if im taking it out up high ,its usually dead or has some other reason for not being there.ive had folks ask me to do trees intangled in power lines,before the power company gets there.
wish i could but that juice dont give u a second mistake.

Smart man! I saw a newsclip of a dumbarsed firefighter trying to pluck a cat off a powerpole. With no route to ground, the cat was OK, like a bird on a wire. When the fireman reached for the cat from a ladder, he completed the ground. Both survived, but at least one of 'em got some good burns to show for his humanitarian efforts!

hi all
I was wondering why nobody mentioned the 346xp I know it is a bit small but it has the guts to cut and it is fairly light. I cousin uses one and he loves it. I myself use a 2036 ( i know not a pro saw but I like it) and I 372xp. I love both saws but I have used 028 before and they are nice too. I want to buy a 335 next I need something to climb that is a little easier to manuver. I climb with the 2036 now.
later
\mike

Back