Husquvarna 136 and 142 came my way this past weekend....worth putting time/$$ into??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XPLRN

Dad ^^^^ wouldn't understand the CAD!!! :-)
Reaction score
The 136 has notably better compression feel than the 142.....no I.D. tag on it as seen in the last picture and has a broken bar mount stud. Are they basically the same saw as far as parts interchange?? Thinking I might be able to come up with one good saw from the two of them. The party they came from said one of them was a past runner but didn't oil the bar and ended up burning up the bar. Do the two share the same bar oiling setup or ???

I was also wondering if the large washers under the muffler bolts on the 142 are standard or ??

932ee1f1.jpg

bf655e03.jpg

88d756fd.jpg

5d40ff02.jpg

I have a Husky 36 which is pretty good for a small home owner saw. I don't think I'd put more than a carb kit a and fuel line into it. It just is too small for most of my needs, but for most people it will do great. It will limb a 3" branch just as fast as my 346 and weighs 2 lbs less. Just make sure you use non-safety chain like Oregon 91VX.

The 142 has been modified by replacing the cat with an earlier 141 type muffler. That's a step in the right direction but it looks like they left off the shield plate behind it and removed the metal heat shield that should be under it.

I really like my 142, which also has an opened up 141 muffler - it really goes for 40cc. I guess you should check compression on it before trying to decide.

The 136 has notably better compression feel than the 142.....no I.D. tag on it as seen in the last picture and has a broken bar mount stud. Are they basically the same saw as far as parts interchange?? Thinking I might be able to come up with one good saw from the two of them. The party they came from said one of them was a past runner but didn't oil the bar and ended up burning up the bar. Do the two share the same bar oiling setup or ???

I was also wondering if the large washers under the muffler bolts on the 142 are standard or ??
The 136 and 141 have a lot of interchangeability between them, unfortunately not as much with the 142. I'm sure there are a few pieces though, maybe the bar stud off the 142 will fit the 136...

The washers under the muff bolts on the 142 are not standard, I don't know whats going on there.

I wouldn't put too much time or money in either of those saws. Most dealers consider them a throw-away saw. Small stuff like a fuel line or carb kit is about as far as I would go.

Last edited:

I don't mean by throw away that they are junk.

By throw away I mean you have to look at the value of the saw used vs. how much your time + parts is worth. If it exceeds the used value of the saw, then either throw it out, or sell it for parts. I usually sell them in batches on CL or individually on ebay. They also would make a good saw to learn on if so inclined, if you inadvertently destroy it, you didn't lose too much. In the OP's title statement it says:

"Husquvarna 136 and 142 came my way this past weekend....worth putting time/$$ into??"

I'm just replying to that statement.

Looks like you take care of your saws and know how to get value from these little buggers and that's great.:rock:

Last edited:
It's certainly true that you've got to watch what you spend on, as it can start to add up quickly - and the OP's saws look a little, um ..... worn. When I consider what they're worth I usually compare to what it would cost me to replace it, including shipping, as well as trying to factor in the "known quantity" effect. Sometimes I prefer the devil I know than someone else's demons!

Well it finally happened today!! My friend has been down from Flagstaff visiting his mother for the Holidaze and today/Dec 30th we were able to spend some time together catching up!!
Sooo we went out to my place and I ended up gifting him all the saws seen in the pictures below. Allegedly both of the Husky's(re-badged Poulans) ran but one didn't have a functioning chain oiler and the other one had a busted bar mount bolt. I had been planning on trying to make a decent loan-out saw out of the two of them.

IMG_1459_zpsf3899d9b.jpg
I've been going back thru my threads on AS and finally getting around to thanking/'Like'-ing peoples responses that have contributed to my threads and updating or providing closure to various threads.

In closure to this thread, as noted above, I decided to pass those Huskys on to my friend. After reading the responses to this thread it didn't seem worth it to hang on to them so I passed them on to someone that might follow thru on my initial plan of making one usable saw out of those two Huskys. I'll have to ask him after the years that have passed if he ever did anything with those orange plastic saws!!??

I think they are fun little saws every now and again cheap parts on eBay make a good runner a solid option.

Latest posts

Back