Husqvarana 61 be an upgrade from a ms260?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find my 260 is bit thin in the oil department.

And I'll admit I'm a big guy (6'3", 275lbs built like brick sh## house) so I tend to lean a bit on saws.

Zingy saws are great if I could learn to not lean on em..

Something with grunt may work better for me..
Or - it might be cheaper to lose weight... :D

So I found a clean 266xp at a local saw shop. Guy there said hes gone through it, piston and cylinder have what he describes as zero scoring. Said it's been well cared for.

Hes willing to take my ms260 on trade for this 266.

Here's a picture he posted of the saw.

8Xq4e5l.jpg

This leaves me with a couple questions.

First does a the stihl bar on there actually fit?? May be a silly question but I didn't know stihl bars will mount on a husky. figured I'd ask.

Second is this too much saw for firewood and general around the farm use?? I ran one exactly like this last weekend bucking and noodling pine which is exactly like I do and wow was I impressed. I don't limb with it but I'm guessing it may be a bit much for that kind of work?

I have my super mini homelite and an 025 stihl I'm going through right now. Those 2 should cover the bases IF I need a little saw which to be honest I usually grab the biggest fastest saw I have when I do any cutting. Being a big guy I dont find "heavy" saws to be too much for me.

Any issues I should check on a 266 if I'm going to look at this one? They seem bullet proof from the reading I've done. They're an old design but I tend to like the older stuff cause it's tough and simple and I think it's very cool to run an older saw.

Any thoughts?
Parts for that clutch brake are no longer available. That is a very old saw.

Even tho the brake parts are nla im pretty sure a new 272 cover would fit no problem except it will have a plastic brake handle instead of metal.

Actually....much as I hate to say it.....the China covers/brakes for these fit and work fine....I bought two for $34 delivered.....$17 pretty cheap....brake band from Husky likely cost nearly that. There are billions of parts out there for this very large family of saws....new aftermarket and used....and many items like seals and O-rings can still be had from Husky.....many years left in that saws more than likely.

Earlier in this thread the op had found a clean, late model 61 and was asking about buying it and keeping the MS260 for his limbing saw. This sounded like a great plan to me. Now, he's found a 266 and says the dealer is willing to take it in on a trade for an older 266. Also he asked about any issues about this 266. That's why I mentioned the NLA brake parts. These are great saws and he say's it has been gone through but exactly what does that mean and how honest is the dealer?
No details are given about the financial end of this, but it sounds to me like he's gonna be paying boot, and will be left without his MS260.
It's really none of my business, but I like the original plan better.

Earlier in this thread the op had found a clean, late model 61 and was asking about buying it and keeping the MS260 for his limbing saw. This sounded like a great plan to me. Now, he's found a 266 and says the dealer is willing to take it in on a trade for an older 266. Also he asked about any issues about this 266. That's why I mentioned the NLA brake parts. These are great saws and he say's it has been gone through but exactly what does that mean and how honest is the dealer?
No details are given about the financial end of this, but it sounds to me like he's gonna be paying boot, and will be left without his MS260.

Sleepy,

After a good night's sleep I'm also thinking the OP should keep his 260 and keep inquiring about the 61 he found lol.

The original 4 saw plan with a 40cc, 45cc, 50cc and a 60cc saw was the Soundest plan.

Things like clutch brake parts not being available for early 200 series saws are things that I did not know.

I will keep on the 61. Can make it a 272 easy and still get parts.

Sleepy, thanks for talking some sense into me!! I needed it.

Yeah, I haven't got a nickel in it either, but just wanted to point out there are other options for brake replacements that work fine at a reasonable price.....as long as you aren't tied keeping the old style brake flag.

Back