Husqvarma 450 help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtor72

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hello all, I have a Husqvarna 450 chainsaw that will only run with an in line spark tester hooked up.
I know this sounds strange, but it runs perfect with the tester installed, but if i hook the plug wire up normally it will barely start, and if i can even get it to start has no power.
if i put the tester back on it will start with one pull and idle and run strong.
I have moved the plug wire all over trying to duplicate the way it is routed hooked normally
with the tester hooked up and no change, i have taken off and put on the spark tester 30 times or more to verify this, this is the strangest thing i have ever seen,
I do not have another magneto/coil to try, but I'm thinking that is the problem.
anyone ever seen something like this?
thank you for any suggestions you might have. Mike

With the spark always looking for the easiest path it sounds like you have a spark plug wire that is bad, or worn enough to let the spark jump threw it and jumping to the block before it can get to the plug. When the spark tester is installed it can't skip the plug anymore. Any way you can put some decent rubber between the wire and the head? Maybe from a inner tube?

X2 on the spark plug wire or the end cap that clips onto the plug. Set it up in the complete dark and I bet you will see the spark but I would bet if you get a new wire, it will cure your problems.

Back