Husqvarna 154se mods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you have to make your own gasket or did gasket maker suffice?

I had to make my own gasket. The piston will make contact with a simple gasket delete. I took a factory gasket and photo copied it onto several different weights of paper and card stock and cut them out for a wide selection for future saws.

Did you have to make your own gasket or did gasket maker suffice?

If you still have the top end off, post a picture of the combustion chamber. I know that there were at least two different designs. The cylinder on my 154se has a combustion chamber much smaller than the cylinders on my 254's.

Now, this is not to say that the 154 came with the cylinder it has from the factory. And my two 254's are both assembled from a container full of used parts, so all bets are off.

I'll try to see if I have pics to show the difference.

If you still have the top end off, post a picture of the combustion chamber. I know that there were at least two different designs. The cylinder on my 154se has a combustion chamber much smaller than the cylinders on my 254's.

Now, this is not to say that the 154 came with the cylinder it has from the factory. And my two 254's are both assembled from a container full of used parts, so all bets are off.

So it's all back together, I need it this weekend. But I did bolt the cylinder down and as a test (as I have no functional measuring stuff ATM) put some putty on the piston and rotated it. Used some feeler gauges to compare the hight of the depression and came up with 0.20 thereabouts. The cylinder is a Mahle.

It is likely that more 154s came with KS cylinders, and more 254s came with Mahle ones. It also is a fact that the power specs went up quite a bit trough the years, from about 2.7 kW for the 154 to 3.0 for a late production 254xp. A DLG (a German test agency) test of a late production 254xp showed 3.1 kW.

Regardless, I suspect they all will benefit from a larger carb and more air trough them (meaning more open at both ends). At some point the transfers will become the "choke point" of course, and then you really need to know what to do, and what not to do....

It is likely that more 154s came with KS cylinders, and more 254s came with Mahle ones. It also is a fact that the power specs went up quite a bit trough the years, from about 2.7 kW for the 154 to 3.0 for a late production 254xp. A DLG (a German test agency) test of a late production 254xp showed 3.1 kW.

Regardless, I suspect they all will benefit from a larger carb and more air trough them (meaning more open at both ends). At some point the transfers will become the "choke point" of course, and then you really need to know what to do, and what not to do....
They do benefit from the larger carb if you modify the air filter.

IMAG0712.jpg
So here is my gasket. the squish measures 0.23, not as low as I suppose it could go but the 'untested' compression is far higher whilst turning it over than before.

:muscle:

So fired it up today on second attempt. first attempt snapped the pull cord and I instantly thought I had measured wrong and clattered the piston into the cylinder but no alas it is just mega compression. This thing sounds a beast. havn't cut with it though as I am chasing daylight and favour my legs. So much power must be hidden away in stock form in favour of longevity....

Latest posts

Back