Husqvarna 257 broken starter assembly and flywheel mahem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOPaul

Reaction score
Hello - I was running this chainsaw yesterday when it came to a sudden stop. It appears that the starter assembly detached and resulted in the flywheel damage pictured. The starter assembly replacement would be simple, but the flywheel issue may make it not worth repairing. Any thoughts on this?

Sometimes I use this saw for bigger jobs than it's made for (some ripping), so it might be best to upgrade instead of repairing immediately.

husq257flywheel_zpsy6btyi60.jpg

Ouch... and welcome to AS. Someone will come along with one of those, "I fixed mine with jb weld over 10 years ago and it's still going strong" stories but I'd be surfing around for a used crank. She's getting up there in age and that'll give you a chance to refresh her.

We have a place what for gettin/beggin for parts and trading sexual favors.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/forums/chainsaw-parts.151/

yup, where's the nut? it flew somewhere...

I have a 262xp teardown on my youtube channel, see my sig. Nearly the same saw. My dad has had a 257 since new and it still runs great. But these saws are 20 years old + and need a teardown anyway ...new bearings seals lines etc every now and again. Also a good time to upgrade if you want to turn this into a 262xp... a bit of a job and you'll need a bunch of new parts, but a fun project for sure. or, get a new /used crank, new bearings and seals, gasket kit, flywheel shroud and flywheel nut, starter and you are off and running :)

yes I know the nut sheered... where did it go though ... debris can get jammed in the works in odd places. metal sometimes ends up on the flywheel magnet. anything loose bouncing around near the spinning flywheel is bad. so if you can find the piece(s) thatd be a good thing.

what you see in the center would likely be best to grind flat, then remove the flywheel imho ...

let me know how I can help....

yes I know the nut sheered... where did it go though ... debris can get jammed in the works in odd places. metal sometimes ends up on the flywheel magnet. anything loose bouncing around near the spinning flywheel is bad. so if you can find the piece(s) thatd be a good thing.

what you see in the center would likely be best to grind flat, then remove the flywheel imho ...

let me know how I can help....
I was looking for it (you know the drill, shake the saw to see if anything rattling comes out, use a magnet around the ground to see if anything comes up), but I can't find the durned thing.

But, this saw issue has become somewhat back burner and indeed a fun project, because now I have a chance to go cut some 20-24" oak trees. So I've got to upgrade pronto anyway. Locally, it looks like my highest end options are:
Stihl MS491 18" ($979) (Corrected: MS461)
Husq. 390XP 24" ($1120)
Stihl MS661 25" ($1210)

BTW, thanks for the kind replies and advice.

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that that MS491 is actually a MS461. Any of those saws would be great on a tree that size. I'd go with the one with best dealer support.

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that that MS491 is actually a MS461. Any of those saws would be great on a tree that size. I'd go with the one with best dealer support.

Yes, sorry you're right. MS461.

Stihl has better dealer support here.

There are some good options in the trading post here on this site...but it depends on if you need a warranty or not.

Also...I'm sure someone would want your 257 as a parts saw....you can probably get a few $$ for it if you wanted to go that route.

Back