Husqvarna 288xp Starter Not Engaging Pawls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retiredtreedoc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Husqvarna 288xp Starter Not Engaging Pawls

Hello Everyone.

I have a Husqvarna 288xp that I can't get started because the starter assembly is not engaging the pawls.

I'm not familiar with the design on this saw, but as far as I can tell, the pawls are working as they should.

I recently changed the recoil assembly, following the instructions in the manual (i.e., install it with the cord extended and slowly let it in), and had the saw running fine, but today experienced the problem that you can see in attachment 2. Note, the new recoil assembly is aftermarket, but it worked as it should for several days before the problem began.

I've attached some photos and two brief clips, one of the issue and one of the pawls moving, and would sure appreciate some advice on what I can do to repair the problem.

Thanks a bunch, TD.

Attachments

• 1. Saw.jpg
    1. Saw.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 2. Problem.MOV
    653.1 KB
  • 3. Pawls Still.jpg
    3. Pawls Still.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 4. Pawls Moving.MOV
    878.5 KB
  • 5. Inside Starter Assembly.jpg
    5. Inside Starter Assembly.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 34
Is the starter mounting securely and flush to the crankcase? Check to make sure that the air dam (gray plastic piece) is lined up correctly. The only reasons the the
pulley wouldn't be engaging the pawls is if the snout cannot physically engage the pawls, or if the pawls were so gummed up that they are staying open (which happens
a lot, but doesn't appear to be your problem), or if chunks of metal had broken away from the snout.

Is the starter mounting securely and flush to the crankcase? Check to make sure that the air dam (gray plastic piece) is lined up correctly. The only reasons the the
pulley wouldn't be engaging the pawls is if the snout cannot physically engage the pawls, or if the pawls were so gummed up that they are staying open (which happens
a lot, but doesn't appear to be your problem), or if chunks of metal had broken away from the snout.
Thanks Tree Freak. You sort of hit the nail on the head - the snout is not engaging the pawls, but I can't figure out why. The starter is fixed as tightly as flush as I can get it and the air dam is also flush...I'll pull it apart again and put it back together, but I've done that prolly 6xs already with no luck. If the thing had not already started fine for several days with the new aftermarket starter, I's suspect that, but since it did start, I'm stumped.

Hold the starter up to the body of the by hand and see if you can get it to engage. Try it without the air dam (gray plastic piece) if you can't get it to engage otherwise.

Tried all of your suggestions, but was still unable to get it to engage. I put i all back together, turned it on its side, then put my knee on the starter and pressed gently while slowly pulling the cord and it did engage. So, clearly you were right and the starter is not seating into the pawls, but hell if I can figure out why, esp since it worked since replacing the starter a few days ago. Anyone have experience with the after market starters? I can't see how the thing could have failed, there's not much that can go wrong with it, but the snout now seems too short to catch the pawls. . .

There are two different length snouts as you call them. Let's just say two different pulleys long and short. I should have both and can get some measurements tonight. I thought the 281,288 always were a little shorter than a 61 or 268 type starter. Funny it worked when you first put it on. I'm wondering if the pulley split in half in the rope area and let the sleeve move away from the pawls.
???

Thanks for your reply and also thanks to everyone who has taken the time to lend a hand. A shorter snout, or whatever it's called, would explain the issue, but like you said, it should not have ever worked if the part was incorrect for the 288xp model. The pulley is intact - see photo 5 - so I can't explain why it just up and quit. I'm wondering if I should try to replace the starter assembly, even though the current part is new, esp. if there is a size difference. I guess ordering OEM part would have prevented this, but I've used similar aftermarket starters a whole lot over the years and never had an issue.

So these are both 281,288 style starters. The rotors on the pulleys are different diameters and lengths. Also note of interest is the axle diameter. I apologize as I can't find a spare 272,268 61 starter. The rotor or snout you are speaking of is longer than both of these examples. You can physically see it with your eyes. I did take a pic of my old 288 flywheel pawls on the next post just for reference. They look real close to yours sir. Hope this little bit of info helps. All parts measured were oem for reference. Tim G.

Attachments

• IMG_20201003_182606386.jpg
    IMG_20201003_182606386.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20201003_182630135.jpg
    IMG_20201003_182630135.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20201003_182644932.jpg
    IMG_20201003_182644932.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20201003_182729048.jpg
    IMG_20201003_182729048.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20201003_182749889.jpg
    IMG_20201003_182749889.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20201003_182757259.jpg
    IMG_20201003_182757259.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 16
TLG, Thank you very much. Seriously, you (and everyone else whose chimed in) have went a long way out of your way to help out an old tree guy. I really appreciate it as well as everyone's advice. Although I spent a career around saws, I've never been better than a parts changer. It's really impressive to read this site and see so much expertise. And it's nice that guys are so willing to share their knowledge. Thanks a bunch. I will get out to shed and so some measuring tomorrow and let ya'll know what happens. Thanks again, seriously. TD

Thanks for the kind words T. But I'm no expert. That guy in front of me JJ now that's the expert here buddy. Maybe I could send you a pic of one of my blue spruces tomm. Seems as if it's dying on the lowers with a fine green moss. Any advice would also be appreciated. Thx

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

When you take it apart again try to put the rope correctly around the snout. Look at picture three on TLGs reply. If the knot you have is sitting the snout off the paws it could be the trouble. Mike

Thanks for the kind words T. But I'm no expert. That guy in front of me JJ now that's the expert here buddy. Maybe I could send you a pic of one of my blue spruces tomm. Seems as if it's dying on the lowers with a fine green moss. Any advice would also be appreciated. Thx

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Please do send the photo. I'll be happy to take a look. I remember a number of years back seeing a lot of spruces with Rhizosphaera needle cast, which is a fungus. Needle cast typically starts on the tree's lower branches (like you described) and grows outward from the trunk. Good news is, if it is that, you get a tree company to treat it with fungicide, typically pretty effectively, if you catch it early.

OK, so I took some measurements this morning and compared them to TLG's. While my instruments are not as precise as his, I got 0.93" OD and 0.43" deep. I guess that might be enough to cause the issue I'm having, but welcome other views.

Also, as far as getting a replacement, every place I've looked online lists the same PN for a Starter Pulley for Husqvarna 288, 281, and 181, (OEM PN is 503-48-48-01). Even Husqvarna's spare parts page lists that number as common to all three saws. So question is, where can I source a correctly sized pulley. . .

Attachments

• Depth (1).jpg
    Depth (1).jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 8
  • OD.jpg
    OD.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back