husqvarna 266 se

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyivie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought a husqvarna 266 se runs good cant seem to get it to stay running at a idle ive ajusted the carb low and high and idle screw any suggestion ? what does the se stand for on the end of the 266 ever thing ive read siad this is a good saw. im getting back in to getting wood for heat have not had to in a long time.

Two thoughts

First remove the covers and give it a really good cleaning get all the caked up guck out and off. Especially clean the air filter, (better if you buy a new one), and the recoil / starter housing where the saw draws air. Also remove the spark screen in the muffler and make sure it's clean and not crapped up. Just like you, engines don't operate well when it's hard to get air air.

The fuel lines in that generation Husky were not made to resist the high alcohol fuel content there is today. Suggest installing a new fuel filter and fuel line.

Could be any number of other things but start with the cheap and easy first.

Take Care

Does she seems to run too rich?Try without air filter if can feel a difference,it will eliminate at least one thing.If still too rich,open the carb and lood at the needle tip condition.No ridge tolerated there.Inlet lever must be flush with body.

Thanks . will try both ive got to get a fuel line it seperated on me today gettting wood. does any body new what other parts inter change with this saw. im guessing the best place to buy parts is ebay.?:chainsaw:

check that the carb is not loose. I have seen this a few times, the bolts back out and makes it run goofy if at all.

Also something to check out is a possible air leak. A pressure or vacuum test really should be done no matter what since you just got saw. You need to rule that out. It also would be a good idea to see what compression reads. The 61,266,268,272 were all very similar and used the same case and most parts. Plenty of parts on ebay. You'll have a great saw when you're done fixing it. The se and xp are really the same saw they just called it the se in earlier years. SE = special edition would be my guess.....or maybe it doesn't mean anything.

husqvarna 266

How would i vaccum test the saw ? can you compression test with vehicle compression tester? i thought i read you cant.:cheers:

The threaded end that screws into the spark plug hole will have a valve right there inside that threaded end. Auto tester is fine. Pull rope until the reading stops going up. 130psi-150psi is pretty normal. I had a 266 that fired right up and ran good at 110,thought that's low.

For pressure test, plug exhaust and intake(I use rubber from inner tube between muffler and intake block) and apply pressure of 6-7psi. Should hold that psi steady for a few minutes.I apply through plug hole with piston in down position. You are trying to pressurize the crankcase,not test the rings. I first use air compressor and turn it down(6-7psi) to get a constant air flow. Leaks are much easier to find this way. When it seems no leaks are found,I use hand pump like mityvac to verify the motor is airtight at 6-7psi.The search function will give all info you would need to perform this test.

I have a 266 se also. My saw would not idle either. Appariently the fuel filter was bad. I took the carburetor apart and the screen inside was full of dirt. I rebuilt the carburetor and it ran fine afterwards.

Hello. I have two 266s and one have a Tillotson 163a carb and the other has a bing carb.

That one with a Bing carb don't go that good as the other one and I will change the carb with Tillotson and I'm asking you it is better to buy 224 or 163? what is the difference?

Thank you very much.

Hello. I have two 266s and one have a Tillotson 163a carb and the other has a bing carb.

That one with a Bing carb don't go that good as the other one and I will change the carb with Tillotson and I'm asking you it is better to buy 224 or 163? what is the difference?

Thank you very much.

The 224 is slightly larger than the 163 and should produce a little more power. They run great with either one though,not much difference between the two.

Back