Husqvarna 272xp spring location for throttle latch operator presence lever

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butternutaud

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi. I've always been able to fix my 272xp (and many other chainsaws, etc) but I can't seem to figure out where the small spring for the throttle latch/operator presence lever goes. Not the throttle spring itself. I've done a a lot of internet searches and can't find a picture nor description of how it goes in. It certainly looks like the straight section of the spring goes into the narrow slot in the bottom of the lever. But the right angle end I'm not sure where in the handle that should rest. I've tried a few different spots it doesn't work. Apparently same set up on a 61, 266,268 and probably others. Included are some pictures. Any help would be appreciated. - tom

Attachments

• CIMG9670.JPG
    CIMG9670.JPG
    312.3 KB · Views: 31
  • CIMG9672.JPG
    CIMG9672.JPG
    602.2 KB · Views: 34
The lower spring sits along the bottom of handle. Install spring first with pin going through opening and holding it in. This will make upper spring section stick up. From the upper handle, take the lever and work it into place over the spring while making sure it aligns with trigger. Place upper pin in.

I appreciate your help but I'm still not getting it. By lower spring do you mean the end with the short 90 degree bend in it? And does it just rest on the bottom of the opening and kinda float there till the handle is in? From the IPL I assume that the pin goes through the circular part of the spring? If so this is the tough part to align up after the handle is in because you can't see it. Couple of pics to help. Does my original 2nd picture show the spring in the correct position on the lever? with the semi-circular end of the spring up in the lever?

Attachments

• CIMG9688.JPG
    CIMG9688.JPG
    208.7 KB · Views: 17
  • CIMG9692.JPG
    CIMG9692.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 16
  • CIMG9693.JPG
    CIMG9693.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 18
Put the spring in first. The pin goes through circular opening. Then slide the lever in through the top opening down over the semi circular spring end. Install the upper pin and you are done. Two pics should help. Note it is the same tank except it uses a screw instead of pin for holding the spring. First shows spring installed. Notice how spring sticks up. Second shows lever being moved down over spring from above. Continue to slide it down into slot in lever. Install upper pin. Done.

Attachments

• 20151219_171404.jpg
    20151219_171404.jpg
    525.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20151219_171500.jpg
    20151219_171500.jpg
    562.2 KB · Views: 20
Hi. Thanks so much. I have tried it this way and it works. But I am trying it on a spare handle (only) that came off a parts saw (61). On my 272 I couldn't do it from that (piston) end because of the casting in the way even with the carb/filter/bracket off. So perhaps I have to pull the handle/tank off in order to do this.. so I just tried something else. I put some scotch tape around the spring to temporarily hold it to the handle. Sliding the lever in from the lower rectangular slot and then by putting a flashlite under the pin hole (with handle on it's side) I could barely see the circular part of the spring to put the pin in. I then checked to make sure the semi-circular end was in the slot. Then I took off the tape and then aligned the lever for the top pin. Seems to work. Will try on the 272 tomorrow. Thanks again for the help . I'm working on a 2nd load of balsam logs. I have quite a few 50-60' ones so am able to generally get 3 logs out of each tree. One of our yards takes 'em down to 5".

Hi. Thanks for finding that, I actually did see that video earlier. Unfortunately the mechanism and spring are different onmy two 272s. Maybe latter 272s were setup like that? My original 272 needs crank bearings and seals so maybe this winter i'll get to that. I've got a few other saws - Husky 45, Jonsered 625 and 49SP.

So here is how I finally put the throttle lock spring back in...

Remove both retainer pins. Slide throttle operator presence lever (throttle lock) in from the lower rectangular opening in the handle up towards the carb. end. If the lower pin is already in then you can not slide the lever up through the handle. Lift the rear of the lever up so you can see what you are doing. Slide the lower pin in part way. By holding the lever up, using a flashlight and a pair of pliers I am able to place the ring part of the spring over the lower pin. Push the pin all the way through to capture the spring. ( The short right angle end of the spring sits (floats) on the floor of the inside of the handle and faces the starter. The other end with the semi-circular end goes up into the lever's lengthwise groove, that is it faces the rear of the handle. ) While lowering the lever make sure that the straight part of the spring stays in the lever's groove. Then carefully position the lever so the upper pin will line up with the lever's upper hole. Push the pin in and you are done.

Back