Husqvarna 272xp ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought it meant Capacitor Discharge as to the type of ignition used.......

Something like that, yes.

As far as I know it was an early type of electronic ignition - but my memory may be off at that point?

Anyway, it was a designation that only was used on "pro" saws back in the 1970s, and on some models well into the 1980s.

On one occasion (the 2100 around 1979/1980), both the CD and XP designation was used on the same model - the XP one just in the marketing and not on the saws though. It took another 7 years or so before the XP designation replaced both the CD and SE designations.

Attachments

• 2100XP 79 (1).pdf
    785.6 KB · Views: 4
Correct, and the 2100 was an absolute "home-run" back in those days. So much so that it overshadowed the excellent 480CD because it just considerably more power and not much more weight. I'm pretty sure they also offered a 285CD or something close to that at the same time, but they didn't sell well (at least in my area) and you almost never see one. The only reason I ended up buying a 480CD back in 1980 was the price (dealer demo saw) and they didn't have any 2100's in stock and not sure when they were going to get any more in.

I was cutting and selling firewood at the time to supplement my "low" income and support my family, plus we were heating 3 farm houses at the same time. The two Mac's we had at that time just weren't making the grade for us, and a very good friend let me run his new (at that time) 2100CD and I went over to Husqvarna and never looked back........Cliff

Yes, there was a 285 CD for some time, but I don't remember for how long they offered it (looks like about 1977 to 1982 based on the IPLs that a quick search turned up).

I knew they were offered but I've never actually seen one.

Back in that era there was one dealer in the area working out of an old barn on the lower level just North of Centerburg. I really wanted a 2100 at that time but settled on a 480CD demo saw.

It's been just about flawless all these years and still gets used when we run into tops or trees that need that much saw.

Most of my cutting is done with 50-60cc saws as we cut mostly tops left over from logging operations. This type of cutting favors light/fast saws instead of big CID heavy saws......Cliff

Husqvarna 480 002.jpg

I knew they were offered but I've never actually seen one.

Back in that era there was one dealer in the area working out of an old barn on the lower level just North of Centerburg. I really wanted a 2100 at that time but settled on a 480CD demo saw.

It's been just about flawless all these years and still gets used when we run into tops or trees that need that much saw.

Most of my cutting is done with 50-60cc saws as we cut mostly tops left over from logging operations. This type of cutting favors light/fast saws instead of big CID heavy saws......Cliff

View attachment 761288
That’s a beaut, still has the clutch cover decal

Thanks. The only repairs I've made to this saw since new have been a tank vent, kill switch, and had to braze the end of the linkage to the shaft in the carb as it got loose where the factory "staked" it in place.

Still has the original fuel line and carb parts. I can't believe after all these years I haven't kitted the carb two or three times or put at least one fuel line on it. Probably helps that I NEVER let fuel stay in it very long, and run the tank empty if/when I don't plan on using it for a while. Plus I'll dump the tank and run the carb and lines dry and pull the choke as it dies out before putting it in storage.

Currently it's outfitted with a 28" bar with skip-tooth and pulls it quite well in big wood. For at least two decades it was my main saw and it loves a 20" bar full comp. As I got older and trees in these parts got smaller, plus cutting a lot of tops left over from logger operations I retired the 480CD in favor of smaller 50cc saws, plus ran a 262XP and 268XP for a while, then replaced those with the Echo CS-590/600P/620PW.

I also have access to a really nice 2100 that my brother owns and I restored for him, but we save the big "war horse" for the big jobs, which are few and far between these days........Cliff

IMG_0790.JPG

Back