Husqvarna 350 bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burchie70

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’m building a 350 to 346 conversion without base gasket and doing a muffler mod. I wanted to switch to 3/8 chain with 18” bar but having trouble finding a 3/8 sprocket for the 350. Plus reading all the threads on here where people say to stick with the .325. Wondering if this saw will pull a 20” .325 full chisel or go with an 18” ? I currently don’t have a bar or chain for this saw yet. Thanks for any help

I’m building a 350 to 346 conversion without base gasket and doing a muffler mod. I wanted to switch to 3/8 chain with 18” bar but having trouble finding a 3/8 sprocket for the 350. Plus reading all the threads on here where people say to stick with the .325. Wondering if this saw will pull a 20” .325 full chisel or go with an 18” ? I currently don’t have a bar or chain for this saw yet. Thanks for any help
It will easily pull 3/8 x 20’, put the clutch drum with splines on it instead of a spur, then you can put whatever you want on it.

I’m not real familiar with styles of sprockets but I think that’s what I have for it now. So all I need is a 3/8x7 standard rim sprocket ? This is what I have. Also is there a difference in the worm gear for the spline sprocket and spur sprocket ?5C0E1F9A-942C-4783-916D-B6252C7DB6B1.jpeg5AF10D2C-6577-4721-B419-63DEE3159F9E.jpeg

That's rim sprocket. 3/8 sprockets come in two* sizes - standard and sm7. You need the "small 7" 3/8 sprocket to convert it. I'll leave it others to advise whether it's a good idea.

*Three sizes if you count stihl.

You have to ask yourself are the advantages you hope to gain with the poor mans 346 build over the standard 350 going to be negated by trying to drag a larger chain on a larger bar?
If you are cutting 15"hardwood all day, a bog standard good 350 with a 16"325 combo might keep up fine with your modified saw 20"3/8 combo- cutting fast growth softwoods in the 18-20" size, the modified saw will work better.
If the 350/46 is the only saw you own designed for .325 and all your other saws run 3/8, you make your own chain loops from rolls of chain- then sure, makes sense to convert and keep them all on one platform- but base your choices on what you intend to cut- more than what the saw might pull.

Im getting ready to go from a 16" full comp to 20" full skip on my 350 in .325 pitch. Im hopeful...

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

All my other saws are 3/8 chain but I can get .325 anywhere I get the 3/8’s. I’m more or less building this saw for something to do than to work it everyday.

On my older ‘70’s husky professional 240sg I ran the .325” full chisel 16” bar with a 8 pin rim and drum. I did go up to a 9 pin rim. But kept the chain razor sharp. And cut branches and smaller trees. When the wood got bigger my 266se was up at bat. I’m sure the 350 would even handle the .325” skip better with a 8 pin rim even with a 18”/20” bar.

My problem is I’m very impatient when it comes to cutting. I hate waiting for a saw to cut. The bigger cc saws spoiled me.

I had .325”/ .050” LG, 3/8”/.050” LP, 404” /.050” semi chisel and full chisel in 25’ rolls instock plus 325/3/8” chain loops. There’s really no way to get around stocking one size chain only. I’d wait for sales on chain loops and 25’ rolls.

Thanks for the input guys. Can anyone advise me about the oil pump worm gear I posted a picture of ? Is this one for a spur sprocket ? And if it is should I get one for a rim sprocket ? Or do they even make one for a 350?

Thanks for the input guys. Can anyone advise me about the oil pump worm gear I posted a picture of ? Is this one for a spur sprocket ? And if it is should I get one for a rim sprocket ? Or do they even make one for a 350?

I think it'll work fine. I think there is a different worm gear depending on which saw in that series and how it's set up with regard to rim/spur. But, I do believe that as long as the splines fit into the worm gear (even if they're sloppy) it'll turn the gear just fine. That's the case on my 350/346 with a rim setup.

Ok thanks. I was looking at Baileys.com at the worm gear for the 346xp which is for the rim sprocket and it looks the same but I read somewhere it’s not the same thickness because the 346 has a split metal case.

I updated mine to the 3/8 rim.

You will find the fitting a 3/8" chain around the clutch drum on this model takes a bit of practice. But so worth it, cuts so much better than .325

Latest posts

Back