Husqvarna 350 to 353 conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering the Husqvarna 350 / 353 is equivalent to our Jonsered CS2150 / CS 2152, I'll tell you that I like both, but prefer the Magnesium bodied 353/CS2152 better. But for modification work, unless it's purely educational, I wouldn't waste the time and money on a non-pro saw.

However, there are still areas of improvements to do for these quite powerful 50cc saws, the HVA 350 / Jonsered CS2152.
Like to change from a sprocket type drive to a rim type chain drive wheel.

Ref:
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/237587-17.htm#post4496087

I beg to differ.. if u get a 350 for next to nothing your only 150.00 away from 346 power.. I see them as inexpensive power. And on the plus side if u smash it it's not 5 bills to replace;)

There was once a monkeyd 350 that'd make a 346 blush.

That's old news....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

re5a6ute.jpg

u8adubeq.jpg

du6edy9a.jpg

I actually ran one of those conversions today. In fact it actually started out as a 340, but I added the cylinder base to allow the standard style jug.

Do the same muff mod and gasket delete with one of the early open port 44mm jugs and I think the results are even better. :clap:

I think the ports may be a little wider.
I did one and took a mm off the intake skirt too. left all the ports stock. Ran nice for not grinding.

That is correct and if I remember correctly it was a 44 millimeter open port:D

I've got a personal project started. It's a little more extensive than I've seen a 350 aside from yours. I'm using the 44mm top end. If it holds together I'll be happy but I'm not leaving anything on the table. I'm not saying how fast it's going to be but if it runs half as ridiculous as the work I'm doing it should be fun

Please excuse my ignorance, but if they are the same bore what makes them so much different? Is it the skirt or the top of the piston that makes them alot more desirable??

Please excuse my ignorance, but if they are the same bore what makes them so much different? Is it the skirt or the top of the piston that makes them alot more desirable??

It's the exact same cylinder but the 350 has a dished piston and the 353 has a flat top

Thanks Moody thats what I was thinking but I wasn't sure. Sounds like they made the 350's with a 44mm and 45mm bore right? Whats years were which?

Open port 44mm did not have purge bulb and were fitted with an hda 159 and were older. the newer 45mm closed port (353 cylinder) has a purge bulb and a crappy zama carb.

Open port 44mm did not have purge bulb and were fitted with an hda 159 and were older. the newer 45mm closed port (353 cylinder) has a purge bulb and a crappy zama carb.

Good to know. So mine must have a closed port cylinder. It has a primer bulb and a zama. Which do you find yourself liking more?

I like them both. If you ran them both there would be minimal difference in stock form. Ported it's a whole new game

Back