Husqvarna 350

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walker/redmax

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I am new to this site and I was told about it on ************. I have never owned a chainsaw but my family lives on a good amount of acreage in Gunnison Colorado where I have spent many hours cleaning up and cutting with my uncle's Husky 3120XP. I am now looking into a saw for myself because at least once a week I find that it would be a good tool to have around. I have been considering a Husqvarna 350. I'll be doing some minor cutting weekly and occasionally get into some heavy stuff. I am just looking for your opinion on bar length, type of chain ect. Like I said, I have only ever used chainsaws, never maintained or bought parts for one so anything that I would need to know about buying a saw would be greatly appreciated!:givebeer:
Thanks!

The Husqvarna 350 is a great homeowners' saw.

I've got one and it's done well so far for cutting small trees and limbing big ones.
One thing I would suggest is to spend the extra $30-50 and get the 353.
It's a commercial grade unit that's almost the same size and power. It has a magnesium crank case for extra life. It'd be worth the little extra money if you ask me (I wish I had gotten a 353 instead).
Another nice alternative is the 346XP, but at $100 more it doesn't buy you much over the 353.

As far as bars...
I'd stick with the 0.325 18 incher and get a good chain such as the Oregon 20LP or Stihl RS. They are full chisel and cut a whole lot faster than the semi chisel factory Husqvarna chains.
18" may be a little much for the 350/353 in hardwoods, but I think it's a great size for all around cutting.
My 350 with 18" bar and Stihl RS chain will bog down in a 18" pine if I push it, but if you take it easy it's not a problem.

Last edited:
For what you are wanting I see no problem with the 350, the 353 is great if you have the extra dough and don't mind spending it, but it's not really necessary for what you are talking about. But... it's not a bad practice to buy up a size, as I have found out, a little larger sometimes is better than visversa.
My 350 has never had any problems running the 18" in anything, Oak Hedge or hackberry, cut them all fine!! I would sugest for now you just buy the Husky branded chain, it's Oregon, and get used to the saw as you are a novice, then latter if you feel the need, go for the better chain. There is no feeling like running a nice brand new high dollar chain into the dirt!!
The Stihl chains are considerbly better made IMHO, but a lot more money to!
Have fun, becareful and welcome to AS
Andy

sawinredneck said:
There is no feeling like running a nice brand new high dollar chain into the dirt!!
Ohh, but there IS a better feeling.
It's the feeling you get when you throw a brand new chain and the sprocket chews up the drive links so bad you can't put the chain back on the bar.:bang:

Fumbler said:
Ohh, but there IS a better feeling.
It's the feeling you get when you throw a brand new chain and the sprocket chews up the drive links so bad you can't put the chain back on the bar.:bang:

OUCH!!!!!

I use an 18" with semi-chisel for hardwood. It's the package I got from Bailey's (see link above, use it, they're a sponsor here).
In very dense softwood forest, I use 16" (for maneuverability) and full chisel.
I'm very pleased with my 350, even after many years using a bigger Pro saw. If you're not a Pro, you'll never notice a difference between the 353 and the 350.

Latest posts

Back