Husqvarna 350i "Power Axe" reviews anyone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumBurner

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've seen this in the newer advertisements, and am wondering if anyone has tried one out for a bit.

I can't find much in relation to gas saw equivalence but am intrigued by the recommended 18" 3/8lp setup. Based on that alone, it makes me curious how it stacks up to the 540iXP.

Did Husqy solve the issues with the clutch area and cover packing itself with chips? Have they solved the issue with the chain jumping off the bar (and I don't mean tossing a chain?)

The price tag is also half or so as that of a 540iXP. I could deal with a stupid adjuster for comparable power, technical improvements, and price.

I bought one a couple months ago due to having shoulder problems making it hard to start my other husky saws. I have used it fall maybe 10 fir trees and cut up maybe 30 trees that I already had down. I have a hard time making face cuts with it because of its slower chain speed. I did find it cuts decked logs into firewood well. It weighs about 14 ponds with the battery, so it weighs in around a 60cc saw, probably heavier than my 562 but is lighter than my 372, mostly because of the 24" bar on my 372. A lot heavier than my 550xp. I have not had a problem with the chain jumping off. It doesn't oil as well as I would like, and it does seem to be packed with chip and dust when I am done using it. I blame that on slower chain speed. Battery life is about the same as a tank of gas if you don't use it in what they call turbo mode. In turbo load it decreases battery life to less than 1/2 hour of cutting time. It is nice to be able to just push a button and go as compared to pull start a gas saw in a tight spot or a steep hill. The worst part is it takes 3 hours to charge a battery that is completely ran down. They price the saw with one battery and a charger is just under $400 but you need at least one extra battery and the best price I have found is $250. So, at this point I have $650 in a saw a 51,55, or 550xp will out cut. I won't be selling my 550xp or 51, or 55 anytime soon.

I bought one a couple months ago due to having shoulder problems making it hard to start my other husky saws. I have used it fall maybe 10 fir trees and cut up maybe 30 trees that I already had down. I have a hard time making face cuts with it because of its slower chain speed. I did find it cuts decked logs into firewood well. It weighs about 14 ponds with the battery, so it weighs in around a 60cc saw, probably heavier than my 562 but is lighter than my 372, mostly because of the 24" bar on my 372. A lot heavier than my 550xp. I have not had a problem with the chain jumping off. It doesn't oil as well as I would like, and it does seem to be packed with chip and dust when I am done using it. I blame that on slower chain speed. Battery life is about the same as a tank of gas if you don't use it in what they call turbo mode. In turbo load it decreases battery life to less than 1/2 hour of cutting time. It is nice to be able to just push a button and go as compared to pull start a gas saw in a tight spot or a steep hill. The worst part is it takes 3 hours to charge a battery that is completely ran down. They price the saw with one battery and a charger is just under $400 but you need at least one extra battery and the best price I have found is $250. So, at this point I have $650 in a saw a 51,55, or 550xp will out cut. I won't be selling my 550xp or 51, or 55 anytime soon.

Thank you for the review!

Are you running 3/8lp or .325mini?

Have you run the 540i before for side-by-side (close enough at least) comparison?

I am running 3/8", that's what it came with. This is the only battery saw I have ever run.

We have been running one on our crew cutting invasive species in Colorado. We are happy with it. We also have Stihl MSA220s. Biggest plus is price and it runs a 18” bar with standard size chain. Biggest minus is the battery takes longer to charge. I would recommend it unless you already have a series of battery tools for another brand.

We have been running one on our crew cutting invasive species in Colorado. We are happy with it. We also have Stihl MSA220s. Biggest plus is price and it runs a 18” bar with standard size chain. Biggest minus is the battery takes longer to charge. I would recommend it unless you already have a series of battery tools for another brand.

Thanks for the input!

Have you run the 540i for comparison?

Does the clutch cover clearance allow better flow of chips and less clogging?

And by bigger battery, do you mean the BLi300? Or did they release a new, stronger battery?

The battery's i have are the bli30 40v battery's, the seem to run from $250-350 dollars. It would take 4 battery's and 3 chargers to keep one of these running all day with medium duty use. That is a draw back for steady use.

The battery's i have are the bli30 40v battery's, the seem to run from $250-350 dollars. It would take 4 battery's and 3 chargers to keep one of these running all day with medium duty use. That is a draw back for steady use.

Right on.

The bli30 is 270wh at 7.7ah, where the bli300 is 337wh at 9.4ah

And both weigh the same. Bli300 takes an hour, give or take 5-10mins to charge on the QC500 charger.

Two BLi300 batteries last me a full day's work unless I'm doing lots of long cuts and/or not in 'E'-mode

Thanks for the input!

Have you run the 540i for comparison?

Does the clutch cover clearance allow better flow of chips and less clogging?

And by bigger battery, do you mean the BLi300? Or did they release a new, stronger battery?
Yes I have used the 540i. Last summer we bought a 540i Husky and a MSA220 Stihl for comparison. We decided to buy another MSA220 and drop the 540i. There was nothing wrong with the Husky 540i but we thought the .043 chain was an odd man out for us and we already had other Stihl battery equipment so we went with Stihl.
I think if we had the 350i to try instead of the 540i the decision would have gone the other way.

Yes I have used the 540i. Last summer we bought a 540i Husky and a MSA220 Stihl for comparison. We decided to buy another MSA220 and drop the 540i. There was nothing wrong with the Husky 540i but we thought the .043 chain was an odd man out for us and we already had other Stihl battery equipment so we went with Stihl.
I think if we had the 350i to try instead of the 540i the decision would have gone the other way.
Oldbuzzard having used the 540i and the 350i would you say the pro saw had a lot more guts?

Anyone tried the 20" Greenworks 82 volt/ 3.4 Kw saw?

I have the 536Li that I like a lot with a 12-in bar and 200 battery, it does surprisingly well in larger logs than it's meant for. But I don't want to beat the motor up, so I'm looking for something bigger than it or the 540i.

The uber-expensive MSA 300 kit is out of my price range. Biggest/most affordable thing seems like Greenworks 82 volt/ 3.4 kW motor?

But for performance/ affordability, I'm currently wondering - why shouldn't I swap a .325 sprocket/bar/chain onto a Husky 350i power axe, if I can find a matching 18-in bar, or even a 16? I'm guessing that would give me chain speed like the 540i... Even if the saw has more plastic on it. (I don't own the 350i, still debating best option).

Glad for any input on these saws

I didn’t have the 540i at the same time I had the 350i so I never did a direct comparison, but I’m betting the 350i is just as strong. I have 3 now and other people on my crew have also bought them to compliment their gas saws. I dont remember what the chain drive is. All the battery saws I have tinkered with have spur drives but look to be easy to swap.
BTW I also have a MSA300 and CANNOT recommend it. VERY EXPENSIVE, heavy, and it eats batteries, but it is powerful.

I didn’t have the 540i at the same time I had the 350i so I never did a direct comparison, but I’m betting the 350i is just as strong. I have 3 now and other people on my crew have also bought them to compliment their gas saws. I dont remember what the chain drive is. All the battery saws I have tinkered with have spur drives but look to be easy to swap.
BTW I also have a MSA300 and CANNOT recommend it. VERY EXPENSIVE, heavy, and it eats batteries, but it is powerful.
Thanks a lot, It's valuable to hear all of those 350i saws are working well for your crew and friends also. And that your experience with the MSA300 lines up with others - not matching up with its exorbitant price tag.

The online husky rep said that spur drive can be swapped to .325
Idk maybe at 18" that narrow kerf bar will feel to flimsy, but it's an option If I could find narrow bar.

Back