Husqvarna 545 review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ms 260 was rated at 3.2. The ms 261 was 3.75, and the ms 261 cm is rated at 3.9.

OP, good report on the 545. It is a very good saw!

40 minutes is nothing to get to a good dealer. I drive one hour and pass a couple Stihl dealers on the way.
Actually my dealer has Stihl also...:D

I have to wounder though, if you got a bad 346xp, or didn't run it long enough to get broken-in?

Really these are first negative things Ive heard about the 346xp .

It's like anything, there are a few people that just don't like a particular saw, and some that have unrealistic expectations of a 50cc saw. There's nothing right or wrong with that, but the majority of those that run a 346 are very pleased with the feel and performance.

It's like anything, there are a few people that just don't like a particular saw, and some that have unrealistic expectations of a 50cc saw. There's nothing right or wrong with that, but the majority of those that run a 346 are very pleased with the feel and performance.

Maybe its time I snagged a 346xp myself....and compare it to the 550xp on my shelf ! I have used 50cc saws most of my life . Still what I grab when I go out usually . Maybe I can do a fair and reasonable test !!

The ms 260 was rated at 3.2. The ms 261 was 3.75, and the ms 261 cm is rated at 3.9.

Where did you find the 3.9 hp figure for the MS261 cm? The reason I ask is because the website shows 3.75 for the cm. I agree, though, the cm should be rated higher, the cm felt noticeably stronger to me.

what does it weigh?, does it have a rim sprocket or spur?
hows it compare to 450 husky or pp5020av
is it a homeowner saw with auto tune or pro saw
not picking it apart, just learning :) you dont have to answer all this i figured
someone else may know some of this stuff too. thanks for the thread
hope to keep it going. btw whats is price range
thanks again cobey

nmurph covered the actual weights. It came with a 7 pin rim sprocket.
I have not run a 450 or pp5020, so I can't comment on them.
It is what is considered a semi-pro saw. Has the pro-saw construction, just detuned a bit and lacks the rev boost.
Price varies by dealer, but should definitely be less than $500.

I was quoted $385 by tlandrum for the 2252, which is Jonsered's version of the lady in red of the 545. Tractor Supply wants almost the same amount for the Husky/Jonsered plastic home/farm 50cc version. The 2252/545 is what I wanted, but he was out:( and I didn't want to wait a month or two for restock, so I bought the 2253 instead. Now I won't have to go the rest of my life, wondering what a 2253/550xp would have been like. lol My dad just got a ported Wicked Work Saw 2253 via that holiday special Terry was running. He was really impressed, as in blew his socks & toupee right off type of impressed. He was only mildly impressed with my stock 2253. He has been using a Husqvarna L65 for 30+ years, and recently an L77.

Last edited:
A minor complaint I forgot to include in the original post:

The rear handle is a bit cramped. I generally wear XL size gloves, but even then I have to try gloves on before I buy because some are too tight. When bare handed, or wearing very light work gloves, the rear handle is a perfect fit. When wearing heavy, insulated work gloves, the rear handle is a tight fit, causing the throttle trigger to catch on my middle finger and not return to idle all the way (only to roughly half-throttle) unless I release my grip on the rear handle.

I never ran the 346 during the winter, so I don't know if it was the same way. I checked my FIL's Shindaiwa 360, and it had plenty of room in the rear handle. His Mac 10-10 does as well, not that I was surprised about that one. I do not recall this being a problem on any of the Stihls I have run over the years.

Agree on the rear handle opinion...but everyone needs to try saws out for themselves I think.;) To the OP thanks for your opinion.

I completely agree that a person should check out the feel of saws for themselves before purchase. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take a pair of winter work gloves with me when I went saw shopping. I will in the future, though.

Comparing new saws to worn out ones or just one saw to another can give you a false impression. I got a mint 262xp I mean I don't think it had ever cut but my 346 just flat out smoked it I was hurt I always wanted one... 262xp is long gone

I've owned and tested them. I loved the Partner 5000 plus, then I loved the 346xp, now I love the 550xp and also owned and love 545. I would take the 545 over the 346 if given the choice. It's just a evolution of good saws IMO and the 545 550 has it all in my hands.

550545canthookloglift001_zps716694b6.jpg
5503463450003_zpsda47a4c9.jpg

The 2252/545 really looks like the perfect firewood saw for a "1 saw plan". Light, strato & AT at a decent price point.

I've owned and tested them. I loved the Partner 5000 plus, then I loved the 346xp, now I love the 550xp and also owned and love 545. I would take the 545 over the 346 if given the choice. It's just a evolution of good saws IMO and the 545 550 has it all in my hands.

Very well said !

The 2252/545 really looks like the perfect firewood saw for a "1 saw plan". Light, strato & AT at a decent price point.

I agree with that statement for my preferences as well . I used an old Husky 350 for about 12 years for my only firewood saw . I never got into big wood...I only cut stuff that the 18 inch bar could handle . My opinion is that a saw in the 50cc range is best for normal firewood cutting....but I also know opinions vary !! hahahaha

Back