Husqvarna 353 vs Stihl 026 vs John Deere CS52

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joed

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a saw to compliment by smaller Echo CS3450. These are the 3 models I am looking for. Any feedback or advice would be much appreciated.

Husky 353= better of their homeowner saws.
Stihl MS 260 pro= excellent commercial saw, my vote.
JD CS 52 the prettiest. good specs.
check this page.
http://www.chainsaws4u.com/johndeerechainsaws.htm

I vote for the stihl 026pro out of these 3, but a husky 346XP would be better, and an 036 pro even better, then a 372XP, and on and on.........:rolleyes:

are you a tree guy, landscaper, firewooder?

Stihl 026

My friend has an 026. It is a good saw, but it did have the fixed high speed jet that could not be adjusted. This was a problem when we decided to mod the muffler which effectively leaned out the saw to the point that it needed more fuel. We could have left the muffler alone, but once you realize the improvement this makes, you've got to do it. Had to buy a new, adjustable jet carb for it rather than mess around with changing the jets until you get it right (until the weather changes again). Anyway, the muffler mod helped it quite a bit, and it is a good runner now. Having run both, I prefer my 346XP for the air filtration system and the better vibration dampening system. (Yes, I know that was not one of your choices.) Good luck!

Thanks for the advice fellows. I'm sorry I should have been more specific. I shall use the saw in a part-time landscaping business and to cut firewood for my home in the fall. The Echo 3450 I have now is good for light work but I want a larger saw for the larger jobs that come along. Price wise the saws, here in Canada, are:

Stihl 026: $560 (on sale)
Husky 353 $550
John Deere CS52 $429

I personally like the Husky but the John Deere is attractive due to its price and similar features and specs. However, I am not too familar with these saws. Are they good and what about parts? The Stihl 026 is a great saw from what I've read and heard as well. So, what do you all think?
Thanks

Joe, check online at southwestfastner:346XP "18" bar $364 shipping included. I have never seen a complaint about this saw on this site. I receintly purchased one of these saws. "All Smiles" :)

I have both a 3450 and a Walkerized 026. Given how light the 026 is, I find that I now only use the 3450 for the smallest of jobs like clearing brush or cutting up kindling wood. I'd suggest looking at something a bit larger.

IMO the 353 is the best of the three. E-Lux went right around Stihl on this one.

Realize the CS52 JD is a semi pro model (plastic chassis) thus not quite in the same class as the other two; JDs next model up, the CS56 is a pro model. I sell it as the 956 Efco, and it is a very strong performer for the price.

Hi joed, I can`t say which saw is better, the 353 or the 026, but I can tell you this, the 346 is way smoother in the hands than the 026. I normally run one or the other when I`m cutting, but last night I was running them side by side and I was a little surprised by the difference. I`m anxious to see what Brian thinks after he has run his new 346 since he has been an 026 man for years. I haven`t run my 353 yet, still in the box waiting to go to Dennis when I cut back on the hours( 7/12s at the nuke since beginning of March) enough to get to the Post Office, but I have no reason to believe that it isn`t just as smooth as the 346. There is something about the 026/MS260 that has always been very appealing to me but the new Huskies are just as well made in my experience. For $350 or less I don`t think you could go wrong with a 353 but it`s not big money lost if you don`t like it, try `em all! Russ

Russ,

Is that "smoothness" difference only when running the saw out of the wood? How great is the difference when actually in the cut?

Glen

Hi Glens, actually the smoothness shows in the cut. With 21LP on the 346 and 22LP on the Stihl, it felt significant but not huge to me. Both chains are new so I would find it hard to accept that the chain was a factor. Russ

joed,

The older 351 would cut right with an 026, the 353 or, Jonsered 2152 in my case, will slightly out cut an 026, and in my opinion it is an easier handling smoother saw. Its all boils down to opinion, everyone has one. They are close in performance.

I must admit a bias against Stihls; As a dealer I sell against them. It is my job to not like em.

Back