Husqvarna 359 running problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vapnut257

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I joined in hopes of finding a solution to my Husqvarna 359 chainsaw. The saw is almost three years old and less than 15 hours running. I was having a problem starting it and it keeping it running. The fuel line was cracked so it was replaced. I took it to a certified Husqvarna dealer for service and fine tuning and after four weeks, the service dealer could not find the problem. He said there was a "air leak" in the saw that he could not pinpoint. Not the engine or carburetor, but the saw itself. He claims to have contacted Husqvarna techs for a solution, yet nothing worked. Now he is telling me to come pick up my saw and take it back to the store I bought it from (Lowes). He claims this model saw has this unique "air leak" problem and this is why it is sold only at Lowes. I called Husqvarna tech line and was told the certified dealer should have sent the saw to them for a resolution. He refuses to do so since the saw was not purchased from him. I am at wits end in search for a solution and was wondering if anyone who has this saw has ever heard of this "air leak" flaw? Thank you in advance for your input.

vapnut257 said:
Not the engine or carburetor

Depends on what you term the engine, but there isn't really a lot left that you could get an air leak on. Sounds like your dealer's mech is either clueless on doesn't give a s**t cause you didn't buy it from them.

Welcome to the site. You will find a wealth of info here.

I believe you are out of the Manufacturers warranty. But if you arent getting satisfaction with the dealer you are trying to use, find another one. Unfortuantely there are a few dealers out there that have the mentality you are running into.

You will also get the other side of the coin here. Dont shop at the Big Box Stores, as they cant fix what they sell.

That being said, there arent to many places a saw can have an air leak, and a Pressure test and some soapy water and time, and anyone can find an air leak. I think what you really have is a dealer who wants to be an ass because you didnt buy your saw from him.

CaseyForrest said:
Welcome to the site. You will find a wealth of info here.

I believe you are out of the Manufacturers warranty. But if you arent getting satisfaction with the dealer you are trying to use, find another one. Unfortuantely there are a few dealers out there that have the mentality you are running into.

You will also get the other side of the coin here. Dont shop at the Big Box Stores, as they cant fix what they sell.

That being said, there arent to many places a saw can have an air leak, and a Pressure test and some soapy water and time, and anyone can find an air leak. I think what you really have is a dealer who wants to be an ass because you didnt buy your saw from him.

Good post Cassey, I was thinking along those lines as well.

Thanks for replies

Thanks for the replies. I picked up my saw and returned it to Lowe's so they could send it in for service. (Chainsaw Hell) I told the folks at Lowe's about the way I was treated by the local certified Husqvarna dealer and they say they have heard many of the same complaints about his dealership. They also insured me that if my saw cannot be repaired, they will return my money even though it is out of warranty. I don't think any independent dealer will do this! I bought the saw from Lowe's because, after hurricane Isabel, FEMA had bought up all the saws in the area and one could not be purchased anywhere for any price. Even the Stihl manufacturing plant in VA Beach could not supply saws. I had seven large oaks down on my fence line and shed, and home. About three weeks after the storm, I found this Husqvarna 359 on the shelf at the local Lowe's store and I bought it up for the full retail price of $479. I also have a ten year old Poulan 2500 that I rely on while my Husqvarna 359 is in "chainsaw hell". I'll post back when or if I ever hear from it again. I am getting a lot of good and useful information from this forum and when I'm ready to buy my next chainsaw, i'll be well informed and prepared thanks to you guys!

Good luck.

Let us know if your saw comes back to you working or not and how long it took. I'd just be curious to know.

Do you know exactly where lowes is sending it? That would be interesting to know wouldn't it.

Update

It's been almost four weeks now since I took my saw to lowes for repair. From Husqvarna's website I found out I could track the progress of my repair order by calling a toll free number. The person on the other end was very nice and was able to tell me where my saw went for repair and it's status. The saw went to a "lawn and garden" repair center in VA Beach. They were scheduled to "look" at it the following Monday. (Three weeks after I took it to Lowes). Well, Today, Thursday, I went to Lowes and had them check on my saw. They came back and said the good news was they were going to be able to fix my saw and at no expense to me! :clap: The bad news was... they are waiting for two parts to be shipped from Husqvarna and could not tell me when my saw would be returned.:angry2: No info on what exactly was wrong with the thing, but I guess it's some kind of a manufacturing flaw with this particular model number (359). Time will tell, as I continue to rely on my trusty poulan 2500 standby saw. Sthil is looking better every day.

Back in baby's arms!

Yay! After 33 days at a local Husky dealer and 38 days at a Lowes contracted repair facility, I finally got my 359 chainsaw back from chainsaw hell. The saw came back repaired under warranty and at no charge! They replaced a fuel line under warranty. They even replaced a broken cover latch on it and adjusted the carburator for only $29. It seems the saw was repaired under warranty because it was leaking air and needed a updated intake boot with a metal clamp and head gasket. Anybody out there experience this kind of a problem with a 359? I will run it tomorrow to make sure it's working right.

Husky

I read this in a husky review for the 357XP and thought it might be of some interest:

I noticed my 357XP seemed to losing power in the cut and reving fast when limbing. It had only cut about 10 tandem loads of spruce logs.

I took the saw to the local Husky dealer, he put the RPM meter on it and it was reving over 15,000. The jet adjustments would not lower the RPMs.

He said it looked like an "air leak"

He disassembled the saw completely, he then noted a service
notice from Husky that mentioned a defective plastic clamp
in the area where the carburetor connects to the cylinder,
apparently it works loose, it is being replaced by a metal
clamp from Husky.

vapnut257 said:
Yay! After 33 days at a local Husky dealer and 38 days at a Lowes contracted repair facility, I finally got my 359 chainsaw back from chainsaw hell. The saw came back repaired under warranty and at no charge! They replaced a fuel line under warranty. They even replaced a broken cover latch on it and adjusted the carburator for only $29. It seems the saw was repaired under warranty because it was leaking air and needed a updated intake boot with a metal clamp and head gasket. Anybody out there experience this kind of a problem with a 359? I will run it tomorrow to make sure it's working right.

71 days to get it repaired and back, dayummm. You have alot patience there. Main thing though is ya got it back. Lets hope she runs good for ya now.

Back