Husqvarna 359 With Scored Piston / Cylinder Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ductape

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm going to make an offer to buy a neighbor's 359. He said he had it looked at by a local shop and the piston / cylinder are scored. He claimed it had an air leak between the case halves due to some work done to it previously by a different shop.

Wondering what options are, if in fact the cylinder can't be cleaned up. Are there any XP models where the cylinder would bolt to the cases ? Any recommendation on aftermarket pistons for this saw?

I'm hoping this might replace my 455 Rancher if I can get my hands on it. He is switching to Stihl, so maybe it would give him a couple bux toward his new saw.

Parts are easy to come by for the 359.

Several pistons are available

Check to see if it has a metal clamp around the intake at the cylinder. If it has a plastic clamp that is a very likely source for an air leak.

357 P/C is a direct swap and a nice gain in power.

I cleaned up the cylinder on the one I got ,replaced with a meteor piston . It ran or about 10- 15 minutes then locked up . I replaced with a AM P/C kit. I did a leak test everything was fine . I've been running a little rich, seems to be working fine now .

Last edited:
Check to see if it has a metal clamp around the intake at the cylinder. If it has a plastic clamp that is a very likely source for an air leak.

357 P/C is a direct swap and a nice gain in power.

Wondering what options are, if in fact the cylinder can't be cleaned up. Are there any XP models where the cylinder would bolt to the cases ? Any recommendation on aftermarket pistons for this saw?

I cleaned up the cylinder on the one I got ,replaced with a meteor piston . It ran or about 10- 15 minutes then locked up . I replaced with a AM P/C kit. I did a leak test everything was fine . I've been running a little rich, seems to be working fine now .

see above

If it's leaking at the case halves that means splitting the case-I would send that to one of the professionals. You have to figure that into the cost/risk factor. If you decide to fix it on your own, Pioneerguy wrote a fantastic thread about replacing crank seals on the 359.I'm curious as to what the other shop did to make the crankcase leak. FWIW, the biggest culprit for the air leak is the plastic intake clamp/partition.

Latest posts

Back