Husqvarna 385Xp question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffhunter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have recently purchased a Brand new in the box 385XP but a 2002 model. I decided just to put a dual ported muffler on it instead of having it woods ported too. After putting the muffler on it and having the carb tuned up on it. I can only get 12,200 WOT out of it pullin a 28in bar and chain. Does that sound right or should I be able to get more out of it? Thanks in advance.

No like a dumb a## I did not tach it before the mod. But the limiter tabs have been trimmed off and I have the saw running to where it will four stroke at wot but once you get in a cut it cleans up nicely. I do not know what color the coil is I can check tonight. What does that matter? Is one limited and one unlimited?

I dont know what the rev limited coil is in that model, But it sounds like its on the rev limiter. Try to look through the starter cover and see if it has a blue coil. If it does its rev limited. You can pull the starter cover and look at the coil and the rpms will be stamped on it.

I would check the coil before I ran it anymore. If its on the limiter your saw could be running to lean and youd never know it. Thats the problem with tunning a rev limited saw by ear.

You could also tune it in the wood, if you didn't use that method already, and not worry about the coil.

I havent pulled the recoil starter cover and checked the coil but I dont think it is running lean cuz it is 4stroking good at WOT and cleans up in the cut but if I back off on the throttle while in the cut it starts to 4stroke again. Also after a good cut I shut the saw off and the plug is a good milk chocolate color. If that means anything. New to all this but I will check the coil. I just really want to know if 12200 is good pullin a 28in bar WOT unloaded or can I get more out of this saw without doing a woods port on this??????????????

I'd say you should be getting more rpm out of it for sure although some of the US delivered saws have different rev limits to the Australian ones.

I havent pulled the recoil starter cover and checked the coil but I dont think it is running lean cuz it is 4stroking good at WOT and cleans up in the cut but if I back off on the throttle while in the cut it starts to 4stroke again. Also after a good cut I shut the saw off and the plug is a good milk chocolate color. If that means anything. New to all this but I will check the coil. I just really want to know if 12200 is good pullin a 28in bar WOT unloaded or can I get more out of this saw without doing a woods port on this??????????????
IF IT WAS LEAN THE INSULATOR ON THE ELECTRODE TIP WOULD BE SCARY WHITE!!!!

If its dark brown it cant be lean,,, if you have a bore inspection light iwould check the top of the piston toward the exhaust port,,, color should match the plug,,

if it does run tha pizz out of it,,,,,

definitly sounds as though your coil is rev limited,,,,

I pulled the recoil cover and it is a black coil with one small blue wire comming out of it. It does not have the RPMs marked on it????

The plug is a good chocolate brown color brand new this saw has only 1 tank of gas idled through it and the little bit of work we have done with it. I dont know why I can only get 12,200 out of it with a dual port muffler job on it??? I thought I would be able to get somewhere around 14,000

For what it is worth. I just replaced a cylinder on a 385 and could only get 12,200 RPM. I figured this saw would have at least hit 13,000. The saw has a dual port muffler and no port work. I found your thread searching to see if I was the only one to have this issue.

Latest posts

Back