Husqvarna 45 leaking chain oil everywhere?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack_Shaft

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is this a common problem?

I recently was given a Husqvarna 45 for next to nothing b/c of a chain oil leak that was really annoying. I cannot see any cracks in the case anywhere and to further support this, the oil seems to be coming from the sprocket area.

I have been told that many Husky's leak chain oil and that I shouldn't worry about it, but it makes a real mess that I am not too keen on.

If this is a common problem, can somebody let me know exactly where the leak is coming from? The oiler? The oiler drive off the crankshaft?

I would really like to fix this saw if possible... any leads are appreciated.

-Rob
[email protected]

The oil is coming out from the oil tank vent because of pressure building inside the tank.Its a "normal situation",you have to live with that.When you store your saw,unscrew the oil cap a bit to release pressure inside the tank.Its worst if you keep the saw in a heated place or close to heat source.

HiOctane said:
The oil is coming out from the oil tank vent because of pressure building inside the tank.Its a "normal situation",you have to live with that.When you store your saw,unscrew the oil cap a bit to release pressure inside the tank.Its worst if you keep the saw in a heated place or close to heat source.

Hmmm... I would understand that explanation if the saw was on it's side or if the chain oil resi was very full. Where is the vent anyhow, so that I can investigate?

Jack_Shaft said:
Hmmm... I would understand that explanation if the saw was on it's side or if the chain oil resi was very full. Where is the vent anyhow, so that I can investigate?
Behind the steel plate that protect your crankcase.It will leak even if the tank is half full only by the pressure buildup.Unless she leaks along the two hoses each side of the oil pump.

Latest posts

Back