Husqvarna 450 chain not spinning freely

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

playasucia

Reaction score
I'm having an issue with with my Husqvarna 450 - the chain is not spinning freely when assembled. The chain, drive sprocket and sprocket at the end the bar all spin freely when the clutch cover is off. Once I put the cover back on it will not budge with a gloved hand. It feels almost like the brake is on. I can engage and disengage the brake just fine and the clutch cover isn't difficult to take on or off. I'm not over tightening and the brake spring looks alright, not bent or anything.
Am I overlooking something? Thanks :)

QWaIPVt.jpg

Chain not sitting on the drive spur/rim properly?
Tensioner adjusted too tight?
Is it a new chain?
Thanks for the suggestions.
I was looking at it again today and put the clutch cover back without the bar and chain and I can't get the drive sprocket to turn. Then when I loosen it enough it spins fine. I suppose it's the brake band, even though it looks alright (not broken or bent) but everything else seems to check out.

Double check if clutch is not dragging against brake band!

Assemble everything together (without the bar and the chain) and see if clutch is freewheeling inside under the cover....
Thanks. I did just that. I tested it with and without the bar & chain and verified that it spins freely now. I'm not sure what caused this to happened in the first place. I hadn't used this saw in a while as I also have an Echo but last time I used it was was fine.

You know that little grease pen tool for your bar sprocket? When you have the bar cover off. And your looking at the crank shaft. That little dimple is a grease fitting for the huskies. To grease the needle bearings. Stihls don't have them and you have to break them down manually. When that bearing cage goes. It can lock up your chain and sprocket.

Yes that "dimple" (whatever that is :)) is present on the shaft....but it doesnt have coresponding perpendicular channel on the crankshaft.....so on Husqvarna 450 you have to grease that needle bearing the Stihl way :)

At least my Husqvarna 450 doesnt have it (we dont have Ranger model here in EU)

Latest posts

Back