Husqvarna 455 rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnumfloyd

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is $160 a bad price for a 2010 saw that all it needs is a chain seems to be light use muffler is not all burned up but I can't pull it those 5mm screws are to tight to check the cylinder for scoring started on the second pull in 20 degree weather though.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

If it started that easily seems a great price. Chain is cheap, ~$20-25.

I've had a 455 since 2009, runs fine. Could use more power and less weight.

What will you be cutting?

Plus a 435 for $ 80 I think I did pretty good.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using
ae393a36-b833-099e.jpg
ae393a36-b83b-ef71.jpg

Last edited:
I sold one Sunday for $250.00. It was a VERY dependable saw for me. It was an 06 or 08 model. I probably cut something like 25-30 chord plus mountains of multi-flora with it .

I know a few guys with 455's and they all swear by them...we're all firewood cutters, nothing more. We all do between 5-10 cords a year. The 455 has a reputation as being overweight, underpowered, blah, blah, blah...its also a very durable saw that seems to love being abused and comes back for more.

If I hadn't gotten a smoking deal on my 359 I would have probably bought a 455.

Sounds like a great deal on a bullet-proof firewood saw . Open up the muffler some , retune , and enjoy the additional power :rock:

What is there to open on the husqvarnas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Do a search for muffler mods on this site . Study up on it . Then remove your muffler , and drill /grind out any baffles on the inside to free up the exhaust flow . Then make sure the muffler opening @ ex. port matches the port size itself . Finally , drill or grind the outer exhaust opening , so that it is 85% of the ex. port size @ the cylinder . :rock:

I know a few guys with 455's and they all swear by them...we're all firewood cutters, nothing more. We all do between 5-10 cords a year. The 455 has a reputation as being overweight, underpowered, blah, blah, blah...its also a very durable saw that seems to love being abused and comes back for more.

If I hadn't gotten a smoking deal on my 359 I would have probably bought a 455.
Ditto that. The 359 is a little slimmer. Like you, I got a good deal on my second 359. But I would have bought a 455 just the same.

Is it weird that I like the way the 435 cuts better with the .325 chain than I think that the 455 does with a new h47 3/8 chain cutting wood 14" and under.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Then remove your muffler , and drill /grind out any baffles on the inside to free up the exhaust flow . Then make sure the muffler opening @ ex. port matches the port size itself . Finally , drill or grind the outer exhaust opening , so that it is 85% of the ex. port size @ the cylinder
Like to learn more about this.

Here's a 435 muffler, no interior baffles, just a simple steel box:

435-14_1891.jpg

435-13_1878.jpg

What would you do? I want to end up with a screen, but that appears easy.

with a moto tool and a cutoff wheel , surgically open up the area under that deflector as much as possible without frigging up the slot where the screen slides in . you may need to add more sheet metal to the deflector , if you open the front part of that opening where it tapers/angles back. Or , for a real redneck and super easy fix , drill a hole in the front of muff , and attach a spark arrest screen with small sheetmetal screws . :hmm3grin2orange:

Or , for a real redneck and super easy fix , drill a hole in the front of muff , and attach a spark arrest screen with small sheetmetal screws .
This fit my skill and tool set. Any suggestions on size? I shall post pics.

I suspect the 455 has the same muffler, just bigger. Waiting for a 50 deg day, lots in Dec and Jan none yet in Feb, to find out. The older I get, the wooser I get.

Thanks

Saw runs good but on an auto zone compression gauge is reading about 90 is Husqvarna warranty any good

Any suggestions on size? I shall post pics.

You'll have to determine what 85 - 100% of the ex. opening @ port is , then have that much outlet area . Or just guestimate :hmm3grin2orange:.
Actually , as 1 member on here suggests , stuff the ex. port full of uncooked spagetthi (lengthwise), and pull out the pasta all @ once and measure the size of the opening this way .

Saw runs good but on an auto zone compression gauge is reading about 90 is Husqvarna warranty any good

Which saw are you referring to? 90 psi is low for a good running saw and does not seem to me that your reading is accurate. You should be seeing at least 120 psi to 150.

Back