Husqvarna 460 Base Gasket?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brushswamper523

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I am debating.... I want to throw out the stock base gaskets and fill it with some motoseal only. Has anyone done this with success? I thought I read a post on it but I can't find the post. Any thoughts? Thanks it advance.

First thing you need to do is measure your squish. Then you will know if you can & where you stand
Ok and where is a safe magin on squish numbers. I build a lot of saws but i mainly put them back to stock little to no performance mods. Also if I were to do that the two piece rubber gasket area will be able to be filled without an issue?

0.020" is considered a safe margin on saws below about 90cc.
Your 460 is a clamshell so not really a candidate for a gasket delete anyway.
If you want more compression you would need to fit a popup piston if one was available.
I'd say the only worthwhile performance mod for your saw would be a muffler mod & retune the carb. That in conjunction with a clean air filter & a well sharpened chain & she should be singing

Your 460 is a clamshell so not really a candidate for a gasket delete anyway.
What's that ???
I need to ask you; whats considered a "clamshell saw", and just how do you place the Stihl MS460 in to that catagory?

First thing you need to do is measure your squish. Then you will know if you can & where you stand
What he said.

This one don't have a base gasket, but it also has a Taiwan made Nikasil Bigbore cylinder at 54mm/82,5cc.
Long and boring video...

This is my 1st husqvarna clamshell and haven't dealt with a gasket on one before. And I was seeing it anyone left it out and filled that void with gasket maker (motoseal) and had success? I got the saw dropped off to me blown up from someone working the saw way too hard and very poor maintenance. The p/c has scaring on the intake and exhaust side. I got a new p/c and seals for it(waiting to get it all apart for bearings) and I was seeing if I had to order the base gasket or can I just not put it in and seal it up like other clamshell types. I appreciate the advice on the base gasket delete. I may just order the gasket (two piece wierd thing) and back it up with some motoseal.

Can probably re-use your old ones. If they’re cheap I’d buy new ones. They’re more like a rubber seal than a gasket. No performance advantage to deleting them like there is on a pro style cylinder

Husky calls them a gasket, but I think they are more of a seal. And yes, I would replace them as they will "flatten" over time and may not seal up as well if re-used. Price is cheap enough for that insurance for a positive seal. Yes, I would still smear a bit of Mototseal over them along with the outer diameter of the crank seals. Cheap insurance all around.

https://www.partstree.com/models/460-husqvarna-chainsaw-2006-06/piston-cylinder-11/

Husky calls them a gasket, but I think they are more of a seal. And yes, I would replace them as they will "flatten" over time and may not seal up as well if re-used. Price is cheap enough for that insurance for a positive seal. Yes, I would still smear a bit of Mototseal over them along with the outer diameter of the crank seals. Cheap insurance all around.

https://www.partstree.com/models/460-husqvarna-chainsaw-2006-06/piston-cylinder-11/
I’d smear a thin layer of motoseal between each and every surface of everything that’s involved in bolting the cylinder, crank, and seals to the case

I’d smear a thin layer of motoseal between each and every surface of everything that’s involved in bolting the cylinder, crank, and seals to the case
Thanks this is what I am looking for. I will order them tonight. I will definatly be using motoseal. It should be a fun rebuild when it is all said and done. Appreciate the info.

Back