Husqvarna 460 Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TnShooter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have been helping my neighbor cut firewood.
I have a Stihl MS 251 Wood Boss and a Husqvarna 450 Rancher myself.
The neighbor (older man) didn’t like seeing me use my saw on his wood.
Which is nice, but I really did not mind.

Anyhow, he purchased a 460 Rancher with a 24” bar.
The chain seems a bit dry after cutting. (Compared to my saws)
Although it is using bar oil from the tank at a rate of about 1.5 tanks of fuel to 1 tank of bar oil
I typically check my oil flow by the amount of oil it flings from the chain on a clean surface, floor, fresh cut wood, etc.
The 460 Rancher has an Adjustable Oiler.
Should I attempt to adjust the oil flow wait until the saw has finished the break-in period?

My issue is, the manual says not to run the saw at high RPM until break-in period is finished.
So I can’t really run it full speed to throw oil...yet. (Still in the break-in period)
I hate to burn up bar and chain on the new saw.
I have used the saw to cut a large (larger than 24”) White Oak.
I see no signs of hot spots on the chain or bar.
It just looks like the chain is running “dryer” than my saws.

Thanks for any help.

I'm not sure why the question. Lots of thoughts but the main question is: What's the harm in opening the bar oil a bit more? Really, the cost of a bit more bar oil or possibly premature bar & chain wear?
It just may have not been adjusted correctly at factory or who knows.
Your saws are broken in & possibly have had their oilers adjusted as well.

Also... Merry Ho Ho all

Edit
You & your neighbor seem to have a great relationship. Ask him. Explain your thoughts, maybe even show him. His saw, let him make the call after you voice your concerns.

OK, that's it, I promise lol. Cheers!

Max oil... you can open it all the way now. As Ted said, it can also be modified to increase the oiling but it should be adequate at max.

I found on my 455 it used almost a full tank of oil with each tank of gas with the oiler all the way open. It oiled well enough. I imagine the oiler and oil tank are the same between the two saws so it should be similar.

Yes, with a 24" bar she should be crunked wide open. Open it now...
View attachment 781736

Thank you.

The manual I have doesn’t mention the Factory Setting, which looks like 2 according to your pic.
Also doesn’t say anything about different setting for Oils other than Husqvarna.
The saw has a 24” Bar on it from the factory. I would have thought they would be set to the recommended setting at the factory?

I will check it the next time I use it.
I am using the Husqvarna Bar Oil currently . But do at times use the Stihl Bar Oil.

I think regardless of viscosity it should flow the same (a positive displacement pump) so it should be fairly consistent across bar oil brands.

You're right, it probably should be at full open from the factory but it might be an environmental setting, or just not quite assembled with quite attention to detail you are looking for. Glad you are on top of it though!

I think regardless of viscosity it should flow the same (a positive displacement pump) so it should be fairly consistent across bar oil brands.

You're right, it probably should be at full open from the factory but it might be an environmental setting, or just not quite assembled with quite attention to detail you are looking for. Glad you are on top of it though!

Yes, I don’t cut fire wood for myself.
Most of my cutting is done in warmer weather.
It very well could be colder weather as it was in the upper 30’s and lower 40’s when I was running the saw.
Maybe the thicker oil didn’t want to run out of the bar as easy as it does at 75+ degrees.

My neighbor has had these trees down for a while.
Some he cut and others were from blown down by storms.
His health isn’t the best these days, so I offered to help.

Thanks again. I will mention it to him.
I don’t see any reason why he would object to it.

Thank you.

The manual I have doesn’t mention the Factory Setting, which looks like 2 according to your pic.
Also doesn’t say anything about different setting for Oils other than Husqvarna.
The saw has a 24” Bar on it from the factory. I would have thought they would be set to the recommended setting at the factory?

I will check it the next time I use it.
I am using the Husqvarna Bar Oil currently . But do at times use the Stihl Bar Oil.

Do you do not know what a terrible mistake to use Stihl oil. Your saw has just moments to live before it seizes and never opens its eyes again. I use a good petrol based oil on weather. Thinner oil for colder weather. Thanks

Back