Husqvarna 550xp, baffle removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benny3411

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Sorry for the pictures, they were taken late in the evening. I got the baffle cut out of the muffler, I went in through the back and cut it open with a dremel. Just followed down the lines on the back of the muffler, cut at the top to meet the cuts, then opened it up, folded it back. The mufflers original exit that is all bent up in the first picture was cut off, just ran out of cutting wheels that evening. I did more grinding on the muffler after I took these pictures, I went back at it to remove some more material. I have another oem muffler that I purchased, was planning on modding it too, but doing it a different way. Wanted to know..do these saws need backpressure, or would an empty can like this help the saw more. I removed the baffle out of the muffler on my 359 and it really showed improvement, but xt saws are different?

CIMG6602.JPG
CIMG6613.JPG
CIMG6617.JPG
20171104_195629.jpg
20171104_195824.jpg
550xplittleguy.JPG

Attachments

• 20171104_195703.jpg
    20171104_195703.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
Really nice job! A lot of cutting and welding, but the final result is great! :rock2:
Do you have a video of the saw after the mod?
Curious about the sound :crazy2:

Will the reflective tape stay on the muffler when its hot? I put the foil on the crankcase under the muffler of my 562 after a mild muffler mod (also some on the top cover over the muff, top is no longer as hot). Tell us how it works out.

Will the computer automatically compensate for the mufller mod?

Yes, the autotune will compensate, just run it some, make some cuts and it will adjust. The foil on the muffler held up...but, I ended up putting back in another muffler with the baffle intact, I just opened up the front with an outlet. I think...I could be wrong, usual am, but from my experience with the baffle completely removed it seemed to take away some performance, less snappiness. I think atleast a decent portion baffle needs to be there, to push back on the exhaust coming out, keeps that snappiness there, has that nice crack to it. I think on a ported 550 this muffler would work better. Maybe I should of run the with muffler more, let it adjust for a good few days, but before when i was in a cut once I got the rpms up I could hold it there an the throttle would only been maybe half open, with that baffle removed it seemed I needed to increase throttle to get the same rpms. More testing needed, but Im thinking on a unported saw, some baffle is a good thing.

Back