Husqvarna 61 / 266 not getting fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunshineband

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I took the bold step (for me) of putting a 266 cylinder, ring and head on my Husqvarna 61 when the 61 got a scored piston.

But now I can't get it to run because it is not getting fuel. When I take the muffler off and put a half thimble of fuel directly into the cylinder it fires right away and sounds fabulous--for about 2-3 seconds. Then it dies for lack of fuel.

I checked the rubber fuel line that goes to the carb and it is dry as a bone. Apparently the carb isn't pulling fuel.

I have plenty of firewood, it's about 70 degrees and getting warmer, and I have a Husky 51, Stihl 041 AV and Stihl 031 AV...so i have plenty of working saws and more than enough firewood. But I'm dying to use this saw now that it will be 67cc....I have a new chain on it and I'm desperate to see how it cuts.

Anyone know what the problem might be or how to fix it?

You have to use the flange from 266,the 61 wont work and align with pulse hole.Did you install the base gasket the right way,because if its installed"upsidedown",you wont get pulse.To check ,if its ok,remove the carb and in the pulse hole of the cyl,put few drops of oil and turn the flywhell slowly,you should see oil sucking in and out.Did you install gasket behind and in front of the flange on the right side to align pulse hole?

Ummm, the 266 series saws dont have the pulse line going through the flange, its separate, a little nipple on the cyl, and carb with a tube going to each. I'd check to confirm your fuel line isnt kinked in the tank, or something simple, then go on to complex issues.

Lawn Masters said:
Ummm, the 266 series saws dont have the pulse line going through the flange, its separate, a little nipple on the cyl, and carb with a tube going to each. I'd check to confirm your fuel line isnt kinked in the tank, or something simple, then go on to complex issues.
The 266 DOES have the pulse tru the flange.

Lawn Masters said:
Lawnmaster, I think the pulse hole goes through the upper left corner of carb, block and cyl.

Oh, I was looking at my 670, which is basically the same saw, and its different. guess I'm wrong.

Lawn Masters said:
Oh, I was looking at my 670, which is basically the same saw, and its different. guess I'm wrong.
No shame in being wrong, especially when your man enough to admit it.

Latest posts

Back