Husqvarna 61 carb issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckracer24

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all new to the forum, I have a husky 61 with a tillotson carb. I installed a new kit in it today and after doing so it wouldn't start ,all it would do is foul the plug and put raw fuel out the exhaust. What could be causing this? TIA

Thanks for the reply, yes there is spark. I thought about the metering lever and went as far as putting the old one back in but to no avail. What should the L and H screws be set at to start? Thanks again.

If I don't know what they need to be set at from the factory, I always put the L and H screws 1 full turn out and go from there. I get it running, then fine tune as the saw warms up and cut cookies. 10-15 minute process, if it takes longer than that you have another issue on your hands. What was the reason for kitting the carb?

Couldn't get the saw to idle properly with out the chain spinning or the saw stalling. Clutch is in good shape. Saw is a 1983 model and never had a kit.

I would do a pressure/vac test on the case and carburetor. You could be chasing an air leak, if it’s small enough and I’m talking very very small, you can tune it out but only very temporarily. It will eventually get worse enough that you will have to fix it.

I use a mityvac 8400 I believe is the model number. There is a cheapo kit at harbor freight that will do the job as well. You’ll need some rubber, and maybe some sheet metal to make some block off plates. Plenty of threads and YouTube videos out there to assist you.

Ok Guys, I put the gaskets in the proper way, set the screws at 1 turn each and it's still flooding and won't start. What else am I missing? TIA

Had this happen on a cheap Ryobi last summer. Rebuilt OEM carb with OEM parts kit. Still would flood out the muffler in waves with both needles turned in to stop! I racked my brain as to how this happen and rebuilt it again!

Same problem.... then I really sat and looked at it all. Come to find out I was putting in the wrong pump gasket. Not just backwards or wrong material, but had an opening where it should not have been for this carb application. Impulse from engine was pulling fuel from carb pump circuit and filling the engine until she hydro lock..... many times I should add!

I almost lit that thing on fire 2 times out of frustration cuz hell.... I had ton of fuel for a fire pouring out of it! I guess I needed to walk away for bit, clear out my head and decide if it's gonna beat me or I beat it............ with a sledgehammer! Oh and don't forget fire! LOL

The metering lever has a “fork” which is meant to engage into a slot on the diaphragm. If you place the diaphragm onto the carb without sliding it into that fork it will hold the needle off the seat, causing it to flood.

Latest posts

Back