Husqvarna 61

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your Pics don't load. Anyhow the 61 I built this winter ran a 24" bar just fine. I was pretty impressed.

That one doesn't load either. The site nerds on working.on the problem, seems to be an issue for smart phones.

Cleaned the carb, tuned it and ran pretty good, needs a carb kit and muffler/muffler bracket for sure, bolts weren't broken like the guy said they were just loose, i need the plug fitting to test pressure and vacuum on it, psi was 140 so going to put new rings and check squish

You got that for $75? I'd consider that a good deal in my book! Good looking saw! A couple of months ago I picked up a (later model) 61 AND a 266xp at a pawn shop. I got both of em for $400. They're both pretty dirty so I'm working on stripping them down and cleaning them up. Both run good/sound good and need a little maintenance, but overall, I feel like I got a decent deal. I'm glad I saw this thread though because I've been wondering the same kinds of things (how do they compare, what kinds of changes with work done to them, etc.) Anyhow, I find it VERY intriguing to know that the later model 61's will take a 272 swap fairly easily and increase the power that much! I also like that most of the parts are interchangable between the two saws. You never know when that may come in handy. So far, it's been a lot of fun getting my hands dirty on them and learning how they're put together.

You got that for $75? I'd consider that a good deal in my book! Good looking saw! A couple of months ago I picked up a (later model) 61 AND a 266xp at a pawn shop. I got both of em for $400. They're both pretty dirty so I'm working on stripping them down and cleaning them up. Both run good/sound good and need a little maintenance, but overall, I feel like I got a decent deal. I'm glad I saw this thread though because I've been wondering the same kinds of things (how do they compare, what kinds of changes with work done to them, etc.) Anyhow, I find it VERY intriguing to know that the later model 61's will take a 272 swap fairly easily and increase the power that much! I also like that most of the parts are interchangable between the two saws. You never know when that may come in handy. So far, it's been a lot of fun getting my hands dirty on them and learning how they're put together.

Yep $75, was a good deal on it, got lucky this time :D

Huh. I had mine at just over 200 psi with a base gasket delete.

It's a slow RPM saw compared to the couple newer Stihls I run but it had tons of torque.

Huh. I had mine at just over 200 psi with a base gasket delete.

It's a slow RPM saw compared to the couple newer Stihls I run but it had tons of torque.

I expected a lot more from the gasket delete, took it apart and giving the surfaces a really good cleaning and reseal it and check again, hopefully get a better result this time

Seems me and liquid gaskets don't get along lately, got it together and with somewhat warmed engine it read 160 psi

A little off topic but I was looking at my grandpa's 266 it has a coil and the part you gap to the flywheel (can't remember the name) can this be replaced by the newer style coil where it's all a single unit not two?

A little off topic but I was looking at my grandpa's 266 it has a coil and the part you gap to the flywheel (can't remember the name) can this be replaced by the newer style coil where it's all a single unit not two?

No the case is cast different. There are few after market 2 piece set ups but I can't speak for them.

Jeremy

Back