Husqvarna 61

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would it be worth putting a 266 top end on the 61? I have about a half dozen good cylinders so I'd just need to buy a piston

I'm in the planning stages of building a 61. I have two cases and I notice they're not identical. In the floor of the carb box, one has a rubber plug (about the size of a quarter) in it.The plug has a small hole in it, like a line or a cable is supposed to go through it. The other one doesn't have the plug. The opening for the trigger lever is different also. One has a silver ser.# tag & the other one is black. I'm sure one is older than the other but I don't know which would be the better foundation for my project saw.

I'm missing quite a few pieces. I see a lot of parts for these on evilbay. Some of the AM parts, such as starter assy., clutch cover, lid, tank/handle, ignition, etc. are very cheap. Are these parts ok for quality? Thanks for any help.

No it really does need the bracket, its a large muffler to leave hanging out there with no support, Don't want gravity taking over ( insert Boob Joke here) Ive used a 288 bracket with out any issue other then a little bending to get the holes lined up Was kinda bent before I got it.

In the floor of the carb box, one has a rubber plug (about the size of a quarter) in it.The plug has a small hole in it, like a line or a cable is supposed to go through it.

I just rebuilt a grey top 61 with a tecomec 272 top end. I like it. The Tillotson carb sits on the black rubber grommet and the hole in the diaphragm cover aligns with the hole in the grommet. I am calling it an anti-vibration support for the muffler. Don

No it really does need the bracket, its a large muffler to leave hanging out there with no support, Don't want gravity taking over ( insert Boob Joke here) Ive used a 288 bracket with out any issue other then a little bending to get the holes lined up Was kinda bent before I got it.

Looks like I'll replace it then, its cheap anyway :)

Got a 266 mount but I'd have to drill a new hole for it to fit and even then I'd only have one screw on the muffler and one on the saw which wouldn't stabilize it well

I repaired a friend's 268 that had no bracket. Over time, the muffler bent the studs and pulled away from the cylinder. I don't understand how he continued to use it like that. It did make a mess of the shroud and the muffler compartment.

Back