Husqvarna 66

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kos

Reaction score
Hi I’m new here and just looking to learn some more knowledge and get a few questions anwered, I just bought a husky 66 for 60$ the seller said it was seized and couldn’t pull it, I came home and cleaned her up a bit and pulled the cord and it was a very tuff pull but she turned over and runs like a champ ( I think the seller didn’t know that the saw is very tuff to pull) anyways I threw the bar and chain back on and man now she’s really hard to pull, I snapped my pulling cord 3 times and It isn’t returning properly I think it could be a bit too thick of a cord? And also it was around 14 inches long is that too short? I will be putting on a new one but I don’t know how long it should be. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi I’m new here and just looking to learn some more knowledge and get a few questions anwered, I just bought a husky 66 for 60$ the seller said it was seized and couldn’t pull it, I came home and cleaned her up a bit and pulled the cord and it was a very tuff pull but she turned over and runs like a champ ( I think the seller didn’t know that the saw is very tuff to pull) anyways I threw the bar and chain back on and man now she’s really hard to pull, I snapped my pulling cord 3 times and It isn’t returning properly I think it could be a bit too thick of a cord? And also it was around 14 inches long is that too short? I will be putting on a new one but I don’t know how long it should be. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Yes, too short.

I suggest: (1) measure the diameter of the cord and report back, and (2) post pic of inside of starter assembly.

Roy

Forget the starter, recoil assembly, length of rope. Pull the muffler and spark plug. Inspect the internals of the hard to pull over jug...maybe you are fighting something thats damaged. roll it over with no muffler and plug, via the flywheel.......Pull the flywheel as well...maybe the key is sheared and its out of time? Lastily, that saw is well known around these parts. Without a decomp valve, they are a bear to get going when the cylinder is dry. Lots to check before nailing down the length of the recoil rope. How strong are you? Any chance that big 66 is stronger?

I have had a few of those. Prettied one up and put next a cd2100 I went through. Parts are hard to find, and they are heavy and underpowered compared to newer saws. If you are going to be using a saw for firewood or even yard work, I would look for something slightly newer, maybe a 357 or 359. So many better choices. Even a 51 or 55 would be an adequate replacement for a 66.

I have had a few of those. Prettied one up and put next a cd2100 I went through. Parts are hard to find, and they are heavy and underpowered compared to newer saws. If you are going to be using a saw for firewood or even yard work, I would look for something slightly newer, maybe a 357 or 359. So many better choices. Even a 51 or 55 would be an adequate replacement for a 66.
Any 266 I have ever had or built has nearly the power of a 365 and are a very durable saw along with the 61, mind ya they do weigh in around a half a pound heavier than a 372 I believe.

Back