Husqvarna C83 X-Cut chain feedback

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbrick

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Bought a loop of Husqvarna C83 x-cut chain from this eBay seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/134264313670 for $24 per 84DL loop.

Came in a Husky box but not sealed and pretty sure they spun this loop from a roll. Doh, I just saw this at the bottom of their listing. I was going by the "new in box" attribute, which I don't think I would consider this to be.
"***this chain will come off a 100 foot roll cut at our location and in factory box hand written on box**"
How do these rivets/straps look? I don't spin chain myself but it seems like it was not pinched down enough? Maybe its fine.

The grind is... interesting. Huge amount of hook on the tooth and not a radius. It's certainly sharp but never going to be this shape again by hand filing. There is also some gullet remaining.

I thought I would try this instead of the usual Oregon 72LGX chain I run because it was only a few bucks more and seems to have good feedback.

Attachments

• PXL_20221107_232326970.jpg
    PXL_20221107_232326970.jpg
    485.4 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20221107_232115605.jpg
    PXL_20221107_232115605.jpg
    543.6 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20221107_232103524.jpg
    PXL_20221107_232103524.jpg
    461 KB · Views: 2
Ok good to know! Even after a hand file which may change the profile a bit?

Incase it wasn't clear, I am still excited to try it.
The angle will change for sure after a few sharpenings but i find it holds a edge much better than oregon. The plating is a little heavier but it still easy to sharpen.

The steel is harder, hence the aggressive cutting angles. You can mimic it closely by lowering the file a bit so it gets under the tooth
I really like this chain, especially out of the box. But I've found that in order to mimic the factory grind you have to use multiple passes on the grinder at different head angles, and similarly change the height at which the file multiple times in order to achieve the same as the factory grind.
I think husky did great with this chain, sure wish they had a way to easily file it that would give the same profile as stock. My guess is they are focusing on the new chain when it gets dull crowd with the initial profile, and the guys that do a lot of cutting with the hardness.
It does a nice job when ground square too.
That's kind of what I thought. Ok I'll give that a try.
It bends a bit more than I would like but I have not spun chain myself.
I'd also contact the seller and see what they say.

I was pretty much ready to accept it as water under the bridge, but I reached out as you suggested and the seller is being a complete jerk. Makes me want to force them to pay for the return.

I would be ok with a hand spun loop if I knew that's what I was getting (Esp from a member here), but I now believe they are intentionally mis-representing the listing. Refuses to update the title or change it to New (Other). Says it is very clear what it is. Never mind it says "Brand New Genuine Husqvarna 585550084" and is listed as New: A brand-new, unused, unopened - and led me to believe I would receive a factory sealed chain.

Oh, and this is their response to the tie strap. I had to ask multiple times to have my question answered as to whether this is normal for what they are making.
"the chain will never break in that location ever. the chain pulls front to back not side to side
So will it hold 1000% it will stay together"

Typical eBay drama.

I really like this chain, especially out of the box. But I've found that in order to mimic the factory grind you have to use multiple passes on the grinder at different head angles, and similarly change the height at which the file multiple times in order to achieve the same as the factory grind.
I think husky did great with this chain, sure wish they had a way to easily file it that would give the same profile as stock. My guess is they are focusing on the new chain when it gets dull crowd with the initial profile, and the guys that do a lot of cutting with the hardness.
It does a nice job when ground square too.

You’d need to tilt the grinder 40-45° from vertical and hit the side of the wheel to get that steep. I wouldn’t care too much about duplicating the exact cutter, other than making a nice smooth transition from a steep cutter angle down to the strap. I believe the sharp return angle they have coming back down to the strap is just to stay away from having the gullet to big and deep

You’d need to tilt the grinder 40-45° from vertical and hit the side of the wheel to get that steep. I wouldn’t care too much about duplicating the exact cutter, other than making a nice smooth transition from a steep cutter angle down to the strap. I believe the sharp return angle they have coming back down to the strap is just to stay away from having the gullet to big and deep
Yep, that's what I've found.
I don't like running the wheel down past the edge of the arch, so I don't waste my time with it. Convert them to square or just hit them with a file.

Yep, that's what I've found.
I don't like running the wheel down past the edge of the arch, so I don't waste my time with it. Convert them to square or just hit them with a file.
A goofy file used like a round file might get up under there and not hog back under the tooth much. But yeah, I’ve always been happy with my regular round ground so that’s what I run on the super jolly

Back