Husqvarna depth gauge tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the hardwood and softwood sides of this raker gauge give you as far as a raker depth? 025, 030, 035?

On the raker plate for .325 the hardwood setting is 4.2 degrees and the softwood is 5.6 degrees. As been said, it is progressive so it maintains the same cutting angle as the cutter gets shorter. It also puts a slope on the front part of the raker.

Well I guess when I file that new chain with it and put a straight edge and feeler gauge on we'll all know.

If it is the flat plate style. I believe it is progressive.

RonL

It is, and that is one of the reasons it works so well.

I once was told the "hard" setting is .025 on new .325 and regular 3/8"chain, and the "soft" is .030 - but I never cared to get that info verified.

Be aware that each model is made for certain models of Oregon chain, and doesn't always work well as other chain models.

Be aware that each model is made for certain models of Oregon chain, and doesn't always work well as other chain models.

I've noticed this to be true. Frustratingly so, as I run a variety of chains as to my whim/what lands in my lap cheap.
Also, they are supposed to clip into the husqvarna hard saw case - it's easy to break them when doing so. I am a ham fisted fool at times, so it may just be me.

On my chain, which was about half used up, the soft side gave about 039 and the hard side about 032 IF I did it correctly.

They are the best depth guide tool I have found bar none, they keep your chain cutting at peak from new right through to totally worn out. I run my 562XP using the hard setting, but the 394 and 3120 get treated to the more aggressive soft setting. Wood being cut is both green and dry Tasmanian Eucalypt Species, all with 3/8 Semi Chisel chain of Oregon or Carlton branding. My 3/8 Semi Chisel ripping chains get the hard setting, but I don't use the roller guide to sharpen them due to the 10 deg top plate angle.

I've had mine for years, also turned many guys I work with onto them. We dont use the roller portion. But it works great on 3/8 stihl and husky chain, as well on 3/8 picco chain too! It gives the raker the proper angle when filing. The hardwood setting is .25 thou... I use the hardwood setting in all wood and cuts perfect. Im not sure if the softwood is .30 or .35 thou. But it makes for a real grabby chain if used. If I were cutting strictly pine I would use it.

Same thing with the Carlton File-O-Plates. Lot of guys love them if they work with their chain. A problem if you run lots of different chains.

Baileys still shows a few for sale, and I have seen some in clearance piles at chain saw shops, but I don't think Carlton is selling them anymore - anybody know for sure?

http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...n-File-O-Plate-Fits-3-8-Low-Profile-Chain.axd

Philbert

Back