Husqvarna models 345 and 346

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motosierra

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Are the 345 and 346 in the same family of saws? Do they use the same case and carburetor?

the 346xp is a pro saw, but the 345 is not ,,,
346xp mag case
345 plastic case (I think)

the 346xp is a pro saw, but the 345 is not ,,,
346xp mag case
345 plastic case (I think)

Right all the way, they aren't even close to comparable saws, even though they have the same displacement, and looks pretty close......;)

Last edited:
345 is good for the weekend logger with only few trees to do,346 is for the real logger and the guy looking for big performance in a small package.

Very well said! The 345 is an awesome occasional use saw for property maintenance. Some even use them for firewood! But the 346 is designed for the pro who relies on it for daily use.

Last edited:
Very well said! The 345 is an awesome occasional use saw for property maintenance. Some even use them for firewood! But the 346 is designed for the pro who relies on it for daily use.

The 345 and 350 are very popular firewood models here, as is the durn MS250.

I know that the 350 has a loyal following but we don't stock it. There is not enough difference in performance for the price between the 345 here in Canada to warrant it. If somebody wants the next step up from the 345 we recommend the 353.

I know that the 350 has a loyal following but we don't stock it. There is not enough difference in performance for the price between the 345 here in Canada to warrant it. If somebody wants the next step up from the 345 we recommend the 353.

The 353 is a popular model pushed at my local stihl/husky dealer.

The 353 is a very good alternative - pro quality saw for not too much money.......:greenchainsaw:

We know that the 346 has a metal case but does anyone know if it has the same stroke as the 345. If it has the same stroke ..then the piston might be the same for the two saws?

Yes,they share the same piston.Tthe crank is different construction but both have 32 mm of stroke .

This is very interesting to know. I had never compared the 345 to the 346XP, but they do have the same bore (42MM) and stroke (32MM). I had always compared the 346XP to the 353 because they are closer in frame design. The 345 has a book HP of 3.0 @9000RPM where the 346XP has got a book HP of 3.3 @ 9600RPM. The only reason for the extra HP is the fact that it is a higher reving saw. I know that the construction of the crank case and engine of the 346XP is superior to the 345, but this helps to explain the great reputation that the 345 has built for being a powerful and dependable homeowner saw.

Are the cylinders the same? If not, it sounds like the only thing they have in common is the piston and connecting rod.

A 353 is gonna be my next saw (w/16" b&c). I would have bought one this past spring but I came across my 365. Next year! :)

With the other saws I have got after the 353, I'd opted for the 346xp instead - but I still believe it was the right choise when I got it.......:)

With the other saws I have got after the 353, I'd opted for the 346xp instead - but I still believe it was the right choise when I got it.......:)
I have thought about the 346XP. I just think the 353 might work out better for me. I'll use it for not only limbing but felling and blocking logs and trees from 6 to 12 (maybe even 14) inches, which will be about 75% of my cutting. Anything bigger then that I'll use my 365. :)

QUOTE=Hard Knocks;726890]This is very interesting to know. I had never compared the 345 to the 346XP, but they do have the same bore (42MM) and stroke (32MM). I had always compared the 346XP to the 353 because they are closer in frame design. The 345 has a book HP of 3.0 @9000RPM where the 346XP has got a book HP of 3.3 @ 9600RPM. The only reason for the extra HP is the fact that it is a higher reving saw. I know that the construction of the crank case and engine of the 346XP is superior to the 345, but this helps to explain the great reputation that the 345 has built for being a powerful and dependable homeowner saw.[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is very interesting to know. Husqvarna has done this before with other models... just increased the RPM's and thereby getting another model...example the 266 to 268...same case, cylinder(might have open transfers) and same dia. piston. They just increased the RPM's...maybe a different model carb.

But in the case of the 245-246...they used a mag case for the 246 and beefed up the rod and crank (right?)...whereas the 245 has a plastic case and lighter crank/rod (right?).....

The new Boeing 787 jet airliner is made of composites (plastics)...supposed to be stronger and lighter than aluminum... so plastics can't be all bad..YIKES!!...did I say that?

Last edited:
Back