Husqvarna models 345 and 346

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have thought about the 346XP. I just think the 353 might work out better for me. I'll use it for not only limbing but felling and blocking logs and trees from 6 to 12 (maybe even 14) inches, which will be about 75% of my cutting. Anything bigger then that I'll use my 365. :)

Hello, I have the 346 XP and I use it for the same use / dimensions as you. You could not go wrong with it. Comparing it with a 345 og 350 is not fair at all. What I like with it is the balance, feeling when using it, narrow profile and low weight. Saw acceleration is also very good. After joining AS, I have also bought a Stihl 260 and a Dolmar 5100S. I prefer the 346 XP before the Dolmar, and the Stihl as a clear #3. The 353 is also a great saw, but you will love the 346 XP for sure.

Hello, I have the 346 XP and I use it for the same use / dimensions as you. You could not go wrong with it. Comparing it with a 345 og 350 is not fair at all. What I like with it is the balance, feeling when using it, narrow profile and low weight. Saw acceleration is also very good. After joining AS, I have also bought a Stihl 260 and a Dolmar 5100S. I prefer the 346 XP before the Dolmar, and the Stihl as a clear #3. The 353 is also a great saw, but you will love the 346 XP for sure.

Have you ever run the 345 or 350?

On paper the difference is the 346 is about 0.5 lbs lighter and has about 0.3 more hp. It doesn't sound like much but what they do in the woods tells the story.

We need someone that has run both.

I wasn't comparing any saw to the 345 or 350. I was just saying that I ran a 345 a few weeks ago and it was a nice running little saw. Obviously it has more power then my 021 and cut quite a bit faster. I was really impressed by how smooth it ran.

I've never ran a 346XP or a 353. Everything I read here and have been told by the dealers in my area is that a 346XP would be better for 1 to 8 inch (or so) wood and the 353 would be better for 9-10 inch and larger wood. Most of my cutting will be 6 to 14 inch wood. I've been told that the 346XP has a real peaky power band and that the 353 has a wider power band.

I wasn't comparing any saw to the 345 or 350. I was just saying that I ran a 345 a few weeks ago and it was a nice running little saw. Obviously it has more power then my 021 and cut quite a bit faster. I was really impressed by how smooth it ran.

I've never ran a 346XP or a 353. Everything I read here and have been told by the dealers in my area is that a 346XP would be better for 1 to 8 inch (or so) wood and the 353 would be better for 9-10 inch and larger wood. Most of my cutting will be 6 to 14 inch wood. I've been told that the 346XP has a real peaky power band and that the 353 has a wider power band.

well, i can tell you that i really like my 353 with 8pin, pulls strong up to 10" wood and with 7pin spocket i have no doubts it will pull strong up to 15"-16" wood...

I think you are pretty much right on......:clap: :clap:

...and even the 340 and 141 will surely outcut the 021 - that one is a real dud.........:(

My 021 was the first chainsaw I bought.........I cut a lot of wood with that dud! ;)

LOL, of course you have, it does cut wood......:yoyo: :yoyo:

I did cut a lot of wood with my 'ol 34cc Poulan-made Partner 351 also, when that was what I had.........

Last edited:
LOL, of course you have, it does cut wood......:yoyo: :yoyo:

I did cut a lot of wood with my 'ol 34cc Poulan-made Partner 351 also, when that was what I had.........
To be honest with you, if for some reason my 021 needed to be replaced, I'd replace it with a MS210. I like the lightweight of the MS180, I just don't like the "quick chain adjuster". Lately I've been using the 021 to clear trails and shooting lanes at our hunting camp. The stuff we're cutting is from brush up to three inches at the most. For me it's has to be Stihl, Husky or Jonsered. The 021 is great for this, I wouldn't want anything bigger! :)

I just ran a stock 346 for the first time this morning. I was pleasantly surprised it is crisp and runs well, it is noticeably lighter than the 5100. I don't know why people would look any farther than the 346.

Buck

Back