Husqvarna or Stihl for homeowner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alesha86

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi , I am new here..
I just wonder what chainsaw is better in quality Husky vs Stihl?
I am looking for saw for occasional use just for home, there are many choices ..
Stihl 028,029, ms271
Or Husky 450 , 455 etc ...
Any recommendations please?

Hi , I am new here..
I just wonder what chainsaw is better in quality Husky vs Stihl?
I am looking for saw for occasional use just for home, there are many choices ..
Stihl 028,029, ms271
Or Husky 450 , 455 etc ...
Any recommendations please?
They will all be fine... choose your brand based on your local dealer, especially looking at older saws.

About 30 years ago, I was in the same boat, I did what research you could back then. I knew people with both, talked to them, ran some of each brand, at the time, I felt they were Both Excellent tools, but I simply got more saw for my money with Husky than Stihl. The 266XP seemed to be the best fit for my needs at the time, I never regretted that choice, and I still have that saw

Husky’s big weakness right now is weak dealer support, but that hasn’t been a big issue, I haven’t had any serious problems with any of my Huskies

For some the ergonomics of one or the other brand “Feel Better” totally a personal preference

Try to handle and run a few if you can, and consider your dealer support.

I think they are both Great saws, you shouldn’t go wrong with either, get what feels right to you

Doug 😎

husky 455 or 460 are pretty good farm grade saws and run a 20 inch bar in hard wood just fine. And use a real common chain.

You can buy refurbished Huskys at Ebay for about 1/3 off. I have had success using them.
Wilson Tree Farm, 400 acres

neither company makes a "junk" saw, however personally for just a little more money I would get a pro grade saw that will last
stihl MS261 or 362 will treat you excellent for years and years, if you need a bigger saw you are under gunned for the job anyways if you don't have experience and eqipment IMO
the husky 562 is another good saw
all 3 saws I mentioned will be expensive, BUT they will last a good long while, the huskies have some issues ive heard about, 2 friends had the same issue (dunno exactly what, do your research)

id suggest a 20-25" bar, not sure what chain the husky uses but I know the 261 takes a .325 pitch chain, buy a new bar and rim sprocket to convert it to a 3/8 pitch 0.050 gauge, that way you can get chains anywhere, they will swap with other saws, larger teeth are easier to sharpen (and don't rob you of much power actually)
all 3 saws I mentioned pretty much cap out at a 20" bar, I have ran a 25" on my 261 one time because I bent my only 20" chain I had on the job, it pulled it fine but VERY slow and wont oil a bar that big very well, for one or two cuts it was fine

I've come to prefer the 'other' brand.... Echo.
Me too. For this cc and price range, they are just simply better. For the other 2, I’ve had better service from the Husqy Ranchers. Very smooth, nice cutting saws. Stihl has quality products but usually more expensive and not worth an extra cent.

I have this built in threshold when it comes to cost and once that is exceeded, I look elsewhere. Case in point was my Hypertherm 85 amp plasma cutter. The Hypertherm consumables (especially the Fine Cut consumables kept increasing in price) to a point where they became ridiculous, so I sold the machine along with a Lincoln Square Wave TIG machine. I wanted to go to inverter machines anyway and I did. Items like consumables as well as filler rod for TIG and wire for my Migs as well as raw materials, all adversely impact my bottom line so I'm always looking at alternatives.

Same applies to chainsaws. I don't use them everyday, no need to so Stihl especially is overpriced an even Husky's are a bit more than Echo's so I went to Echo saws and I'm quite happy with them actually, plus my Kubota dealer now has them as well.

Stihl is a dam good saw but overpriced in my opinion.

I have this built in threshold when it comes to cost and once that is exceeded, I look elsewhere. Case in point was my Hypertherm 85 amp plasma cutter. The Hypertherm consumables (especially the Fine Cut consumables kept increasing in price) to a point where they became ridiculous, so I sold the machine along with a Lincoln Square Wave TIG machine. I wanted to go to inverter machines anyway and I did. Items like consumables as well as filler rod for TIG and wire for my Migs as well as raw materials, all adversely impact my bottom line so I'm always looking at alternatives.

Same applies to chainsaws. I don't use them everyday, no need to so Stihl especially is overpriced an even Husky's are a bit more than Echo's so I went to Echo saws and I'm quite happy with them actually, plus my Kubota dealer now has them as well.

Stihl is a dam good saw but overpriced in my opinion.
Agree 100%! I started going towards Echo in the early 2000’s when prices were closer, but nowadays Stihl is just plain stupid. Echo is following suit though and everything is getting ridiculous.

I actually quit discussing politics a long time ago. Everyone has their own opinions and opinions are like butt holes. Everyone has one and most stink. Retail prices are what they are on saws or food or cars and everything else and nothing I can do to alter that, except pay the freight and like it but I still won't buy a Chinese saw...lol

Back